Afraid to love
When love was sweet and life was good,
I thought I could never love anyone as deep,
Optimism found me in another mood,
And made promise to live and die to keep.
But after I found out the painful truth,
My heart rearranges and preserves the pain,
Hold each moment within a single thought,
I became afraid to love again.
And all the promises kind winds blow,
Opportunity into lovely notes of pleasant tune,
Through the door and at my window,
I am still afraid to love again.
When I fall asleep capsize into twisted realism,
In tears I tell myself the only secret I fear,
If chance comes by I may never love again,
Although I long to share the joy with another.
Who may be standing somewhere in the shadow,
And stare at me, but I am bound to be there,
I've turn away, yet if love could make the fear go,
And become the vestige of care.
What love so great can set my spirit free?
By night and day freedom gain from fear,
Left deep compositions haunting me,
In moods and wounds which go deep and near.
Gerry Legister's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Afraid to love by Gerry Legister )
- My Mother..., Taimane Fanene
- Ignoring Seasons, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Ephemera, Ian Nicholas McDowell
- Seeing light in Darkness, Aziz Akrish
- Mother! will I not be the saffron spot o.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- A Virtual Life, Sandra Feldman
- Never Ending Dreams, Lilly Emery
- My Soul's Song, Matthew Densley
- No love, Barbara Dixion
- Music Is Life, Ray Hansell
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)