Afraid Of Getting Old?
We are all getting old it doesn’t
Matter what you’ve been told
You go from your childhood to your teen years
But you’re young and you have no fears.
Now that the teen years have come and gone
And to your teen years, you’re trying hold on.
What will happen when you’ve gotten older?
And your thoughts have gotten colder, and
Your movements have slowed down
As you turn and look around.
When your hair may turn grey or it starts to thin
Then you realize that you can’t win.
Age is coming up mighty fast. As you kick
Yourself in the ass.
Your youth like the weather tends to change
And you are never the same.
You started off like a cool gentle breeze
So refreshing to feel, and with
Your spirit you could heal.
Now you’ve become like the torrential rains
That comes from the skies.
Your tears are the raindrops that sink into the ground
But without ever making a sound.
Because you get older does not mean
That your spirit on fire no longer burns
It has just become amber of light
Waiting to ignite.
Just blow on that ember and watch the flame start to rise
As it shoots up and touches the sky.
That flame is the same that you had in your youth
And when you feel it that’s the proof.
louis rams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Afraid Of Getting Old? by louis rams )
- THE SHRIEK, Satish Verma
- The Terror, David Lewis Paget
- Union - within us, gajanan mishra
- Haiku(GOD), Aftab Alam
- chaos of Christmas near, lee fones
- The earth is moving, gajanan mishra
- ONLY YOU JESUS ONLY YOU, Michael P. Johnson
- GOD! WATCHING, TESTING, Michael P. Johnson
- GOD'S TRUTH STANDING, Michael P. Johnson
- play on words, lee fones
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Racism Haiku - Ice Cream, john tiong chunghoo
- Blah Blah Blank Blank, vincent armone
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)