Afraid Of Getting Old?
We are all getting old it doesn’t
Matter what you’ve been told
You go from your childhood to your teen years
But you’re young and you have no fears.
Now that the teen years have come and gone
And to your teen years, you’re trying hold on.
What will happen when you’ve gotten older?
And your thoughts have gotten colder, and
Your movements have slowed down
As you turn and look around.
When your hair may turn grey or it starts to thin
Then you realize that you can’t win.
Age is coming up mighty fast. As you kick
Yourself in the ass.
Your youth like the weather tends to change
And you are never the same.
You started off like a cool gentle breeze
So refreshing to feel, and with
Your spirit you could heal.
Now you’ve become like the torrential rains
That comes from the skies.
Your tears are the raindrops that sink into the ground
But without ever making a sound.
Because you get older does not mean
That your spirit on fire no longer burns
It has just become amber of light
Waiting to ignite.
Just blow on that ember and watch the flame start to rise
As it shoots up and touches the sky.
That flame is the same that you had in your youth
And when you feel it that’s the proof.
louis rams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Afraid Of Getting Old? by louis rams )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Hari Om, Bijay Kant Dubey
- सपना इतना..sapna itna, hasmukh amathalal
- Hard labour, hasmukh amathalal
- Peace will prevail..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Divine Vs Divination, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Richmond Explodes, John Allen Richter
- Solomon's empire, hasmukh amathalal
- Restart, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- A Naat A warning Paposh Hayn Hum, Akhtar Jawad
- Values, Luo Zhihai