Lady Mary Wortley Montagu
Addressed to ------, 1736
With toilsome steps I pass thro' life's dull road
(No pack-horse half so tired of his load);
And when this dirty journey will conclude,
To what new realms is then my way pursued?
Say, then does the unbodied spirit fly
To happier climes and to a better sky?
Or, sinking, mixes with its kindred clay,
And sleeps a whole eternity away?
Or shall this form be once again renew'd,
With all its frailties, all its hopes, endu'd;
Acting once more on this detested stage
Passions of youth, infirmities of age?
I see in Tully what the ancients thought,
And read unprejudic'd what moderns taught;
But no conviction from my reading springs --
Most dubious on the most important things.
Yet one short moment would at once explain
What all philosophy has sought in vain;
Would clear all doubt, and terminate all pain.
Why then not hasten that decisive hour;
Still in my view, and ever in my pow'r?
Why should I drag along this life I hate,
Without one thought to mitigate the weight?
Whence this mysterious bearing to exist,
When ev'ry joy is lost, and ev'ry hope dismiss'd?
In chains and darkness wherefore should I stay,
And mourn in prison whilst I keep the key?
Lady Mary Wortley Montagu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Addressed to ------, 1736 by Lady Mary Wortley Montagu )
- The Bad Woman, Jayeeta Shamsul
- How, Claude H Oliver II
- State of Affairs, Bill Cantrell
- sunshine won't die, Bull Hawking
- Is This The New World, Craig Anderson
- Bells of Harmony, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Bharatheeyakavitha-2, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Into The Black Of Never, Spiritwind Wood
- The Jumbo Roll, Tony Adah
- Socially Awkward, Raven Rasputin
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1886 - 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)