Across The Graveyard, A Wind Flays
(baad'e samoom... wo tazeeana ik lehad ka …urdu)
Just wanted to buy Aasma a doll!
If possible for Haider a plastic ball!
from village back'ome, I shied a call.
Heer so wants a colorful shawl.
Suffering days for a better deal.
Barely keep life on an even keel.
Gave up wishing for lamb or veal.
Hardly the bills or our meters seal.
Pennies we cough through our nose,
blossom on our rags as bloody rose.
Who will be willing for asking those,
who bleed us white and hunker close.
Maan's in hospital so many days,
I slog the corridors! Weary ways!
Across the graveyard a wind now flays,
by the mound where Father lays,
That everyday I trudge teary eyed.
Wandering! Why? My life has lied.
With my desires my heart too died,
to a desolate breath it still is tied.
Aasma…common Pakistani name for girls.
Haider… common Pakistani name for boys.
Heer … proverbial folk lore name for a young lady.
Maan … common noun, mother…here Motherland.
Father… common noun, here Quaid e Azam…father of the nation.
(baad'e samoom... wo tazeeana ik lehad ka …)
Urdu translation of the title.
saadat tahir's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Across The Graveyard, A Wind Flays by saadat tahir )
- I am here to help you, gajanan mishra
- Father, gajanan mishra
- Within The Forest, Brianna SaurusRex
- The Beatles in Auckland, michael walker
- Gandhi, gajanan mishra
- Keep Up, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- You, Jose Orozco
- In my heart - you are, gajanan mishra
- 9 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 2 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(c. 600 BCE)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Udiah (witness to Yah)