Abode of Love
Love cannot be contained
And kept within doors
The Love ingrained
Will be let out with tears.
When in people Love is copious
Even to the very bones, they give
The Love-less people are ambitious
Appropriating all to themselves massive.
Like the relation of life precious
With body and soul
There should be relation of life precious
With life as a whole.
When you are with Love in amicability
You are in great harmony
That begets cordiality
And with friendship you are in symphony.
The greatness of binding Love
Who long live in wed-lock
Will obtain in Heaven
The result of their true love-lock.
Love is the base of virtue
So deem the Wise
For demolishing the evil too
Love does instantly rise.
Like the fierce sun’s heat
That roasts the critters
A soul sans love sweet
Virtue’s power dries it to litters.
When the mind sans Love
Lives in this domestic world
It’s like dry boulders that allow
Shooting of tender leaves curled.
If the inner organ—the mind
Is of suffusing Love devoid
Of what use is it to have in bind
The other organs which are then void.
That body which treads in life
The Love- path, so glad
Is the one which pulsates with life
Else it’s a skeleton, skin clad.
chandra thiagarajan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
written by the Poet Saint’ Thiruvalluvar’ some 2000 years ago.
These are the 10 Kurals from the chapter’ Anbudaimai ‘
Comments about this poem (Abode of Love by chandra thiagarajan )
- Why Poet?, Sandra Feldman
- Man, Dilantha Gunawardana
- Kite, Dilantha Gunawardana
- A Middle-Aged First Kiss (2), Dilantha Gunawardana
- Misplaced Trust, Mr. Spock
- No Looking Back (A Follow-up Poem), Dr John Celes
- losing leaves, Leah Dodd
- Worthy, Galina Italyanskaya
- Often I Am Reminded, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- God Knows, Galina Italyanskaya
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)