Colin Ian Jeffery
On the morning of 21 October 1966,116 children and 28 adults
died when slurry engulfed a school after the collapse of a
coal-tip in Aberfan, South Wales.
What greater grief
Anguish and despair for a community
Suffering the death of children?
Weeks of heavy rain
Drenched the mountainous coal-tip
Creating a slurry of black death.
Ominous, forbidding, a destroyer
High above the town
Threatening the unwary school.
Children sitting at desks
Teachers supervising innocence
With lessons soon to end.
An avalanche of slurry flooding down
Engulfing the school
Crushing, suffocating and burying.
There is a press picture - - soul searing
Of an anguished policeman
Carrying a dead child from the ruins.
Colin Ian Jeffery's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (ABERFAN by Colin Ian Jeffery )
Did you read them?
- A Free Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dissolved, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Go boothward young doves, moez meftah
- To Someone Special On Poemhunter, Electric Lady
- Thank You: from a dear friend, Almedia Knight Oliver
- Memories, anthony john cerrito, sr.
- The Sea, Somasekar Sivaprakash
- Gods Revenge, Tango Tango
- 'Valerie', Katherine Nordhaus
- 'Charlie Girl', Katherine Nordhaus
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- Ithaca, Constantine P. Cavafy
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)