A Warning to Dissidents
Yes, pretty soon now they’ll be at your door.
They’ve orders and a warrant after all.
It doesn’t matter. You’ll be on the floor,
your wife and children having watched you fall.
Just then you’ll notice fallen scraps and crumbs,
the beauty of your startled wife’s pale feet,
the Celtic Crosses on your daughter’s thumbs,
the food above that you will never eat.
Your thoughts will have become a crimson pond
that flows out of your gagged and bleeding head
until you find yourself afloat, beyond
the reach of billyclubs and flying lead.
Leo Yankevich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Warning to Dissidents by Leo Yankevich )
- Drawing Inspiration, Tony Adah
- Bumblebees Bibbing, Saiom Shriver
- Tum Muze Kaha Pyar Dete Ho, ravipal bharshankar
- When He's Not Here, Lora Colon
- Charlotte Old Times (The Cure), B.. Alexander
- Cardinal flower, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Down the Memory Lane, Valsa George
- I Miss You, Viola Hughes
- Little Grass, wasim Akram
- Silence of graveyard, ramesh rai