A Warning to Dissidents
Yes, pretty soon now they’ll be at your door.
They’ve orders and a warrant after all.
It doesn’t matter. You’ll be on the floor,
your wife and children having watched you fall.
Just then you’ll notice fallen scraps and crumbs,
the beauty of your startled wife’s pale feet,
the Celtic Crosses on your daughter’s thumbs,
the food above that you will never eat.
Your thoughts will have become a crimson pond
that flows out of your gagged and bleeding head
until you find yourself afloat, beyond
the reach of billyclubs and flying lead.
Leo Yankevich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Warning to Dissidents by Leo Yankevich )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Rainbow, SALINI NAIR
- The Color Inside My World, Mikey Bachman
- Haiku #4, Eric Micha'el Leventhal
- My Ramdan, My Repentance, Ahamad Ilyaas Vilayathullah
- She in Desert, Akhtar Jawad
- A bucket of paint, Piyush Dey
- Value be given, gajanan mishra
- Egypt, Tony Adah
- A Tribute To Gray's Elegy, Naveed Khalid
- Nothing i can offer, binod bastola