A Warning to Dissidents
Yes, pretty soon now they’ll be at your door.
They’ve orders and a warrant after all.
It doesn’t matter. You’ll be on the floor,
your wife and children having watched you fall.
Just then you’ll notice fallen scraps and crumbs,
the beauty of your startled wife’s pale feet,
the Celtic Crosses on your daughter’s thumbs,
the food above that you will never eat.
Your thoughts will have become a crimson pond
that flows out of your gagged and bleeding head
until you find yourself afloat, beyond
the reach of billyclubs and flying lead.
Leo Yankevich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Warning to Dissidents by Leo Yankevich )
- My Son Ali, kassem oude
- Hit Music, Michael McParland
- Mind, Soul and Spirit, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Drivers lessons, Harold R Hunt Sr
- I love you, Harold R Hunt Sr
- love, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Under the stairs., Harold R Hunt Sr
- On my shoulder, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Out of the mouth of babies., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Chand Khoya He Badlo Mein, Hwa Khamoshi .., Yashvardhan Goel
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)