O the old wall here! How I could pass
Life in a long midsummer day,
My feet confined to a plot of grass,
My eyes from a wall not once away!
And lush and lithe do the creepers clothe
Yon wall I watch, with a wealth of green:
Its bald red bricks draped, nothing loath,
In lappets of tangle they laugh between.
Now, what is it makes pulsate the robe?
Why tremble the sprays? What life o'erbrims
The body,--the house no eye can probe,--
Divined, as beneath a robe, the limbs?
And there again! But my heart may guess
Who tripped behind; and she sang, perhaps:
So the old wall throbbed, and its life's excess
Died out and away in the leafy wraps.
Wall upon wall are between us: life
And song should away from heart to heart!
I--prison-bird, with a ruddy strife
At breast, and a lip whence storm-notes start--
Hold on, hope hard in the subtle thing
That's spirit: tho' cloistered fast, soar free;
Account as wood, brick, stone, this ring
Of the rueful neighbours, and--forth to thee!
Robert Browning's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Wall by Robert Browning )
Did you read them?
- Harken, The Rain comest, Sir Toby Moses
- I am blind, Aftab Alam
- One Half of a Love, michael walkerjohn
- Separated Hearts, Michael Mira
- >> Orphanage, Abdul Wahab
- Visible pain, hasmukh amathalal
- a, Vera Sidhwa
- Not be easy, hasmukh amathalal
- So heavily inbuilt, hasmukh amathalal
- Roads of Pain, michael walkerjohn
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- .....You Ask How Much I Love You (best l.., Charles Wiles
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Woman Work, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1886 - 1967)