A Walk With A Zombie I
A lone and level expanse of darkening heath
carpeted by maquis. Threads of footpaths.
A tapestry of twill-tones:
violetbrowngreen. No trees.
Starting where the sky fell
to land and dotted back to the beholder's eye:
silver, of sky-to-earth-fallen divots
And rising from each- mists
that took the shouldery shapes of men
drifted off, like childhood, or smoke
off caps coiled and banged with a brick.
Suddenly beside me- the melancholy zombie-
(at least it said it was a zombie) hand at its lips
staring moonward over its shoulder,
trudging along on watery legs,
Matching my strides,
trailing me like a shadow cast
glancing over its shoulder for what...(?) assurance? ,
as if out of sorts in Time.
as if afraid to have climbed too early
or too late from the damp earth, oozing bogwater,
the discus moon behind stained
like a yellow armchair.
'I am free, now, ' it breathed,
'free to walk about. Free till
(using the free word three times)
'to what? ' I wondered aloud.
'Never mind, ' advised the zombie. 'to live in the moment.'
Good advice I'd heard before- so I said,
'sounds fine to me.'
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Walk With A Zombie I by Morgan Michaels )
- Midnight, David Lewis Paget
- tera bhi dour hai....., sanjay kumar maurya
- roj us dariya kinare....., sanjay kumar maurya
- life, Soul Watcher
- Poem for You, David Shapiro
- tumhara har bharam tut...., sanjay kumar maurya
- Beyond Season, Mist or Mystery, Ananta Madhavan
- The Weight of the World, Katinka Havermans
- I am a Lover without a Love, Md. Ziaul Haque
- I, Katinka Havermans
Poem of the Day
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Birth Day, Elise Paschen
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Palace Of My Beloved, Said Akl
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1886 - 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)