A Walk With A Zombie I
A lone and level expanse of darkening heath
carpeted by maquis. Threads of footpaths.
A tapestry of twill-tones:
violetbrowngreen. No trees.
Starting where the sky fell
to land and dotted back to the beholder's eye:
silver, of sky-to-earth-fallen divots
And rising from each- mists
that took the shouldery shapes of men
drifted off, like childhood, or smoke
off caps coiled and banged with a brick.
Suddenly beside me- the melancholy zombie-
(at least it said it was a zombie) hand at its lips
staring moonward over its shoulder,
trudging along on watery legs,
Matching my strides,
trailing me like a shadow cast
glancing over its shoulder for what...(?) assurance? ,
as if out of sorts in Time.
as if afraid to have climbed too early
or too late from the damp earth, oozing bogwater,
the discus moon behind stained
like a yellow armchair.
'I am free, now, ' it breathed,
'free to walk about. Free till
(using the free word three times)
'to what? ' I wondered aloud.
'Never mind, ' advised the zombie. 'to live in the moment.'
Good advice I'd heard before- so I said,
'sounds fine to me.'
Morgan Michaels's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Walk With A Zombie I by Morgan Michaels )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Matilda Who told Lies, and was Burned to.., Hilaire Belloc
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Summer Nights, Deborah Ager
- The Old House, Paul Gerard Reed
- The role of Kama, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- I Dream of Her, Olufayo Ezekiel
- I realized why we get hurt, Tiyani Shadrack Manganya
- That fatal day to all, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Love Note 10, Michael P. McParland
- Secularism in true sense, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Mark o Connor's ballad of a man from sno.., Juwon Daniel
- you need to know: (, Manauwer Raza