M.D Dinesh Nair
A Tribute To Kushwant Singh
Note: This is a tribute paid to the Indian writer, journalist and humourist Kushwanth Singh of A TRAIN TO PAKISTAN fame who died on March 20,2014 in New Delhi.
THAT BIG FUNNY MAN IS NO MORE….
We those who have read and heard you often
We those who heard of you much oftener
And we who have written on you at times
Believe in unison that one more star has fallen dead
From the firmament of Venuses not many and
We Salute you dear Sardarji …….
You were the funniest Indian writer in English,
You were the happiest Indian journalist for long
And you were the most trenchant secularist ever.
We salute you dear blunt man with a sharp nib.
India can no more boast of your being around us
And she is deprived of a writer with true mettle.
Your jokes still make us go mad with loud laughter and
Your sharp wits make us sit and wonder.
We salute you dear Sardarji of all Sardarjiees.
No respecter of reputations nor a worshipper of the God of any mould
Nor a crusader of a community in vain
Sardarji, you were there the Sikh of all Sikhs ever.
A man in women`s company you were
A man in their minds causing no ripples yet
A man in men`s debates you were
But never in their disregards ever at all.
Dear KS, you are now gone for ever
Digging a deep vacuum in our Intellectual circles.
A TRAIN TO PAKISTAN you wrote on the heels of the India Partition,
A HISTORY OF THE SIKHS you wrote to tell how you differed from the HINDUS
And WHY I SUPPORTED THE EMERGENCY you wrote to repent later.
Dear KS, your train unto fame will never halt anywhere
We salute you for your being with us all these 99 years
And GOOD BYE dear Sardarji…..
M.D Dinesh Nair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Kushwant Singh was a pride of many in India and an envy of many abroad.
Comments about this poem (A Tribute To Kushwant Singh by M.D Dinesh Nair )
Did you read them?
- Conversation between Two Dead Bodies, Md. Ziaul Haque
- This World is Full of Beauty, Gerald Massey
- Let's Get Wet in Moonlight, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Inner Sacrifice, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Tribute to a Writer, Md. Ziaul Haque
- For Touching You Once, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Be Mine Forever, Md. Ziaul Haque
- It's a Beautiful World, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Beauty, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Divorce, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- My Retreat, Jose Rizal
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- A Thanksgiving Wish To You My Love, Thad Wilk
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(4 February 1900 – 11 April 1977)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)