To the loss of testimony—
And to the awakening of reason!
Raise that glass!
To a godless future,
To a life of uncertainty—
To a celebration of earthly days!
To the myths of forbidden fruit,
And supposed moral order!
To the forsaking of collection plates!
To the hell that was only imaginary—
The fires, the brimstone, Satan's imps, et cetera—!
To hedonism, to selfishness, and to poisons in our blood!
Jeff Gangwer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Toast by Jeff Gangwer )
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)