A thousand wishes so…(T) 1711**
A thousand wishes so, each leaves one, devoid of breath.
Many desires now rest, fulfilled; so many yet remain unmet.
Fears why my smiter? Shall it remain upon his neck?
That blood, which flows free from teary eyes without let
Banished Adam from heaven, we have heard the lore but.
Here too humbled done, we leave your streets even yet.
Bared shall lie, Oh truculent! Thine acme’s enigma.
If this turbaned flair’s winding twists be vilely twirls unset.
If an Epistle be sent forth to her, let us be the scribe.
Dawn arrives, with a quill on ear from our abode, fret!
Bore me, this period, the ignominy of libations excess.
Lunation then wrought, periods that chalice upon chalice whet.
Upon whom I rested, desires of extol for my scars.
Weighed she even more maimed and broken as a wretch.
Indifferent is indeed Love, to be dead or to being alive,
her visage we live by, the heathen, who is, breath’s regret.
O’ Lessen load on this weighted breast, that, dispel I this cruel arrow.
That if dismissed the heart pops, and so with the heart so its breath.
In the name of Lord, bare not the Kaaba, of its shroud.
Lest it unfolds, and here too resides the same heathen statuette.
whence the ale house door GHALIB and whence the vicar,
but so much I know, yesterday he was entre, when I just left.
** Adapted transliteration from an URDU POET: GHALIB Mirza Asadullah Khan
1797-1869, (almost, Urdu’s Shakespeare)
“Hazaaron khwahishen aisi ke har khwahish pe dam nikle”
A common form of writing in urdu literature “the GHAZAL”.
saadat tahir's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A thousand wishes so…(T) 1711** by saadat tahir )
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #8, Brian Johnston
- Old Drunk's Advice to an Anxious Beau, Donal Mahoney
- TWAILE! ! !, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Mother, Tamara Dunn
- Autumn, Mark Hamilton
- J.Bast, I try your face... - translation.., Lyudmila Purgina
- It's Not Nice To Kill Other People, Is It Poetry
- Song To Sri Ramakrishna, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Growing Old, heather sweeting
- पापा, sushant jha
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- The Three Little Pigs, Roald Dahl
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)