A Spectral Fairy Tale
Do you hear a moonlit gale
Whistling its spectral tale?
In the drowsy somnolent realm
When shadowy thoughts overwhelm
Young pairs in their night rambles,
Dark suicidal spirits assemble
To follow the hearts who have lost
Their love and search for its ghost.
The phantoms start hunting and strive
To lure away the alive.
They dry human souls and grieve
For their own needs to relive
The perpetual plot of their end,
The damnation of their mortal bend -
To pass over and over in vain,
To run self-execution again,
To remember a grain of dust,
The speck that remains as the vast
In the instant when their last breath
Crosses the borders of death...
The wanderers gaze at the blank
Limpid waters reflecting the bank...
They perform their bodily act
In the last effort to resurrect
As they step on the red-hot blade
Bridging the chasms of fate.
Confined to wheel and rotate
The vicious circles of hate,
The ravenous spectres halt.
High branches arch in a vault,
Form a fragrant shelter that covers
The spell-bound dreamy lovers
On the brink of their double suicide.
Dizzying odours of blossom hide
Their bodies in a rescuing fit,
In a lethal desire to commit
Self-murders as self-rewards...
Ill spirits, confused and distraught,
Not daring to interfere,
Lower glooming near,
They are ready to open the gate,
Let the newcomers enter straight...
The maze of the unruffled trees
Shares placidly their caprice
To witness the human rise
In the last deadly sacrifice.
The figures on the riverside
Balance under a vow to confide
In each other’s hands and will –
The ghosts surround them still
As they quench their final thirst -
Kiss a farewell outburst,
Kiss a transfer - a gracious heave
Accomplishing and marking their leave.
The spectres turn back to roam -
No pray, no victim, no home...
Thus tricks and traps can prove wrong
In the face of love that’s so strong,
On the moonlit bank there i stand
Pressing the layers of sand
That make a burial mound
Where true love can be found.
There a moonlit gale
Whistles this spectral tale...
Natalia Bakina's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Spectral Fairy Tale by Natalia Bakina )
- Worthy Expressions, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Flight Of Fairies, Nicholas Nikolov
- Goodnight Kiss, Nicholas Nikolov
- MURIEL, Donald R Charon
- GLENDA, Donald R Charon
- Tales Of A Wife: Close To You, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- CREDITOR, Donald R Charon
- Tales Of A Wife: Lady Liberty, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Lament Of Many, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Misguided, Donald R Charon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)