A Solitary Flower
Among so many different flowers
In the hilly slopes and the valleys,
Stood a solitary one in the corner,
That singularly caught my eyes.
All the flowers gently swayed alike,
But not all had the same merriment.
Some did it with sprightly dance,
Some like a ritual, as if in a trance.
Butterflies, bees and the dragonflies
All came in groups with no surprise,
Singing their own serenades of love,
To the bright flowers, hovering above.
When all others were frolicking in fun,
Distinctly different was the solitary one,
All the while she was looking at the sun
To collect her nectar, no one had come.
A poet proceeded to her in easy gait,
To take her picture, he couldn't wait.
He knew one day his memory would blur
So he wanted a picture, to archive her.
This picture became a symbol to many
Who were lonely, without a company,
To them it was but a symbol of solitude,
Of a lonely soul marching with the multitude.
Poet's Notes: The idea of this poem came when the poet saw a solitary flower while visiting Nangolkot, Nepal, in April,2012
13 November 2013
Khairul Ahsan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Solitary Flower by Khairul Ahsan )
Did you read them?
- Anticipation, Roann Mendriq
- I Will Give You Air, Ismim Putera
- Seduction Theory, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Late-night Lullaby, Ismim Putera
- A PRELUDE (To December), Vinaya Joseph
- Lucien, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Ghazal - Qyamat Ho Gai Hay, Bano Ali
- Stand Up Witness Your Dream, Fatima Nusairat
- Zero Turkey Wing, Havilah
- Reading and Writing, umaprosad das
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Bright Star, John Keats
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(November 1, 1871 – June 5, 1900)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)