Chris G. Vaillancourt
A Smattering Of Applause
Sheltered dreams always seem to end.
They filter down like
drops of hopeless water
which fall from the sky
and melt upon hitting the ground.
Pleasant sands sparkle in the
brilliance of the sunshine.
Yet the heat of the ground
would burn as easily
as a furnace fire.
Necklaces are woven out of
Worn like penance
around the necks
of chanting monks
into the setting
of the play.
The actors were assembled, now they are gone.
The stage was full, now it stands quietly empty.
The audience has clapped its last applause.
Butterflies have lost the
will to fly and so they
flutter to their death
upon the burning sands.
The heat escapes attention
as the wings smoke
and than burst into tiny
The animals have been released from the zoo.
The doorkeeper has fled his enclosure in order
to surrender his vowels to the
strands of politically correct
I told you the play was over.
Now go home.
Chris G. Vaillancourt's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Smattering Of Applause by Chris G. Vaillancourt )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(22 March 1941 -)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- A History Of The Future- What's THAT? ? .., Bri Edwards
- Epistle therefrom Death, Sir Toby Moses
- Being Rich, Randy McClave
- Chief glory, gajanan mishra
- If I Get There, Luis Estable
- That Savor Is So, Luis Estable
- No One KnowsThe Pain I Feel, Luis Estable
- The Kentucky Hangnail, Randy McClave
- Bell, Book & Candle, David Lewis Paget
- Dear baby - (Something Casual), Mitta Xinindlu