A Simple Lesson
Many years ago I had a friend whose life came suddenly to an end.
What could have caused my friend to die before I chanced to say goodbye?
For a while I drifted aimlessly as I tried to understand this tragedy.
What could have caused his life to go? Why so sudden? Why didn’t I know?
It was a passing that was unforeseen, what, if anything, could it mean?
It showed me how we never know our time to come or our time to go.
I made a vow at his gravesite then, to never let that happen again.
To tell my family and all my friends before our lives come to an end
How lucky I am in their lives to be and how very much they all mean to me.
It’s funny how the simplest things that set our world aglow are oftentimes things we already know.
But sometimes it takes a tragedy to help us be the person we’d like to be.
I think of my friend often with a smile and a sigh and I’m sorry I never got to say goodbye.
Even today there is nothing I wouldn’t give to tell him how his death taught me to live.
I’d thank him for teaching me long ago to tell people how I feel before we go.
So I will never again have to wonder why...or have regrets when we say goodbye.
Thanks old friend for helping me keep that vow...Hmmm...I wonder if he hears me now?
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Simple Lesson by Jim Yerman )
- Love Me, Love Me, You Just Love Me, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The sweetest song, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Be logic., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Loving Me, Leave Me Not, Desert You Not,.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- L'amour est un Triste Caméléon, Hebert Logerie
- स्वप्न, dhirajkumar taksande
- <<< আমি বাংলার পাতি মাষ্টার, Abdul Wahab
- Lost homes, hasmukh amathalal
- A Tiny Island, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God's Kind Of Poetry., Darlene Walsh
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(18 November 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns