A Silly Poem
Oh, how I love to write a silly poem,
one without content or rhyme:
to let my mind wander,
my thoughts meander,
switching freely at random
between reality and dream,
I shall break the habit of a lifetime
and indulge myself in the meantime
in a poem that sounds like gibberish
with content worthless as rubbish.
This will make me happy indeed,
it might even plant the seed
of a new trend in poetry,
one without symmetry,
where words are picked by a lottery
and verses bereft of an apostrophe.
As for a punctuation mark,
don’t make me laugh, it is a lark
to think that one needs to write
using such an old-fashioned art.
So I embark on my adventure,
put pen to paper, and shudder.
What madness has come over me?
What possible reason there can be
for being silly with poetry?
It is, indeed, a blasphemy!
So, I put down my pen,
but was tempted to try again.
Alas! The Muse had left me;
I felt abandoned, lost at sea.
Perhaps it is time to call it a day
and revert to my old-fashioned way.
But I haven’t given up hope,
Perhaps one day I will cope
and write a poem that will amuse
without any help from the Muse.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Silly Poem by Isam Hussain )
- Days Gone, Spiritwind Wood
- Spark of a thought, Laxman Rao
- A Judgmental Society, Savino Terrazas
- Right Now, Michael McParland
- Little Mosque, Mohja Kahf
- The creative grit.., Laxman Rao
- Like A Gentle Rain, Spiritwind Wood
- The paradox of becoming a Man, Nancy Handabile
- Quran, The Ways of Ascent, Mohja Kahf
- 'My Persuasion' Over 'Her Coyness'., Prabhat Priyadarshi
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(17 July 1674 – 25 November 1748)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
James Whitcomb Riley
(7 October 1849 - 22 July 1916)
Edgar Lee Masters
(23 August 1868 – 5 March 1950)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Victor Marie Hugo
(26 February 1802 – 22 May 1885)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)