A Silly Poem
Oh, how I love to write a silly poem,
one without content or rhyme:
to let my mind wander,
my thoughts meander,
switching freely at random
between reality and dream,
I shall break the habit of a lifetime
and indulge myself in the meantime
in a poem that sounds like gibberish
with content worthless as rubbish.
This will make me happy indeed,
it might even plant the seed
of a new trend in poetry,
one without symmetry,
where words are picked by a lottery
and verses bereft of an apostrophe.
As for a punctuation mark,
don’t make me laugh, it is a lark
to think that one needs to write
using such an old-fashioned art.
So I embark on my adventure,
put pen to paper, and shudder.
What madness has come over me?
What possible reason there can be
for being silly with poetry?
It is, indeed, a blasphemy!
So, I put down my pen,
but was tempted to try again.
Alas! The Muse had left me;
I felt abandoned, lost at sea.
Perhaps it is time to call it a day
and revert to my old-fashioned way.
But I haven’t given up hope,
Perhaps one day I will cope
and write a poem that will amuse
without any help from the Muse.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Silly Poem by Isam Hussain )
- Sasha said, Nassy Fesharaki
- With A Lifting Of My Leg, Is It Poetry
- Doom and Gloom, Nweke Emmanuel
- I have left my home, ramesh rai
- Turnips, Nassy Fesharaki
- Restoring Common Sense, douglas scotney
- The Treat, Glen Eker
- A Man In Time, THEODORE MOSLEY
- Alchemists, Rocky Lizardi.Brown
- Black History Our History, THEODORE MOSLEY
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The British, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(15 April 1958)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)