Du Fu (712 - 770 / Henan Province / China)
A Short Poem Written At The Moment When A Rising River Looked Like A Rolling Ocean
I was stubborn by nature and addicted to perfect lines,
fought to the death to find words that startle.
Now in old age my poems flow out freely, the way
flowers and birds forget deep sorrow in spring.
A new water pavilion has been built for fishing with a rod.
I choose to use a bamboo raft instead of a boat.
If only my thoughts were guided by poets Tao and Xie,1
we'd travel and together write poems.
Poet Other Poems
- A Homeless Man's Departure
- A Second Farewell To Governor Yen Wu At ...
- A Short Poem Written At The Moment When ...
- A Song Of Painting: To General Cao Ba
- A Woman Of Quality
- Advent of Spring
- Alone, Looking for Blossoms Along the Ri...
- Ballad Of The Army Carts
- Ballad Of The Old Cypress
- Ballad Of The Press-Gang At Shihao Villa...
- Behind The Gates Of The Wealthy
- By The Lake
- Day's End
- Dreaming Of Li Bai (1)
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.