An old abandoned building stood alone across the street
A haven for the homeless is where they always would meet
Everyone gathered together for a place to lay their head
Safer to be under cover than having to sleep outside instead
Just to keep their bodies warm they try to stay huddled together
A shelter from the rain and snow or any kind of stormy weather
The tales that are always told is always 'what could have been'
All their family and loved ones they haven't seen since when
Warming all their hands and feet in front of an old smoky fire
Wearing of shoes so worn that had withstood all the muck and mire
Many times these words were spoken 'so just come whatever may'
Always living life on the edge or whether they'll see another day
Then the moon or stars at night loomed near like a silent friend
The long and dreary days of survival seemed never to have an end
As the sun begins to set they can still see a faint light that glows
If ever there was an end to their plight only the homeless one knows
Patricia Grantham's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Shelter by Patricia Grantham )
Did you read them?
- Dying roosters, Nikola Pajtic
- Narcissus, Mark Heathcote
- Birthday, bryan wallace
- My Jason Lytle Suggestion, Mark R. Elias
- Poetic Aspirations, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Nappy Change, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Holding Closely, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Rock an' Roller, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Living With An Open Heart, Renee Marie
- Love Burns, Angela K Brown
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Heather Burns