A Secret Little Prayer
Although I don't believe in God,
I always find that I,
Say a little secret prayer,
Before venturing into the sky!
Yes, every time I board a plane,
I offer up some words,
I don't believe anyone's there to listen,
And I don't believe they're heard.
But, as I clip on the safety belt,
And watch the cabin crew,
Showing us, what, if things go wrong,
Just what we have to do.
I offer up my secret little plea,
That if there's something there to care,
Then look after my fellow passengers and me,
And keep this bloody thing in the air!
Now I know that I'm a hypocrite,
I don't need it pointed out,
But I'm not as bad as those Godly men,
Who hate, and scream, and shout.
At those who won't do as they say,
Who refuse to accept their rules,
Who will not bend to life their way,
Who won't become suffering fools!
Tom Higgins 21/10/2012
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Secret Little Prayer by Tom Higgins )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- No Harm, abigail sikwenda
- Never Ex, abigail sikwenda
- Its not my fault, abigail sikwenda
- The Glorious Leader, Chris Zachariou
- Karma says Patience, abigail sikwenda
- Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, Jayatissa Liyanage
- Now, D.L. Aceves
- *Jacaranda Bloom, C. P. Sharma
- We are free, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Parasite, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta