David Herbert Lawrence
A Sane Revolution
If you make a revolution, make it for fun,
don't make it in ghastly seriousness,
don't do it in deadly earnest,
do it for fun.
Don't do it because you hate people,
do it just to spit in their eye.
Don't do it for the money,
do it and be damned to the money.
Don't do it for equality,
do it because we've got too much equality
and it would be fun to upset the apple-cart
and see which way the apples would go a-rolling.
Don't do it for the working classes.
Do it so that we can all of us be little aristocracies on our own
and kick our heels like jolly escaped asses.
Don't do it, anyhow, for international Labour.
Labour is the one thing a man has had too much of.
Let's abolish labour, let's have done with labouring!
Work can be fun, and men can enjoy it; then it's not labour.
Let's have it so! Let's make a revolution for fun!
David Herbert Lawrence's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Sane Revolution by David Herbert Lawrence )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Shadows, hap rochelle
- seaside idea, lee fones
- Words Beyond Love, Ronald Chapman
- Visit To Jeju South Korea (Regional), Ronald Chapman
- Sunrise, Ronald Chapman
- My Wondrous Journey (Reincarnation), Ronald Chapman
- My Day Haiku Form 575, Ronald Chapman
- A.Blok, To Yury Verkhovensky - Translati.., Lyudmila Purgina
- A.Blok, To Valery Bryusov - Translation .., Lyudmila Purgina
- A.Blok, To Vladimir Bestuzhev - Translat.., Lyudmila Purgina