A Road Full of Promises
By the time I found out we were already,
Too late to change on the road full of promises,
Hard to let go of things we love and things we try,
Clutch the shadows in sunset of joy and crisis.
Darkness flood the light from dawn converged,
Trying to hold onto everything we deserve,
Changes came to our lives, and crosswords emerged,
Fell in pieces and broken dreams stayed reserve.
No likely end could opportunity bring than sorrow,
And with the cross down dropp upon our knees,
The joy was dim and breathes grimacing as we go,
In pulse beat emotions on the road full of promises.
Sweat reared as water ski, coil and swiftly swan,
In the spring of love anxiety ambush the heart,
And tears rang; became dreams come and gone,
In the laden flame that glows fainter by sight.
We meet our fate on the road full of promises,
And in pain, somewhere along the road we stop,
Only to think briefly by guilt fury our gain and loses,
Those that we hate they could have been loved.
The impulse drove windy tumults in our mind,
Search happier state of this life where we had been,
The breath we wasted on the path left behind,
Brought sorrows to define the duty held in a dream.
Some dreams came true from the start to the end,
But the pledge of other promises left unfulfilled,
The reduction were never woken, and went unbroken,
Fortunately they made me smile still in silence stayed.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Road Full of Promises by Gerry Legister )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Alone, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Get Dirty, Buddy Bee Anthony
- I Never, Sergi Dutronc
- Love for everyone, Andy Sayasone
- Storage Unit Auction, Saiom Shriver
- Space Framed Beauty, Saiom Shriver
- Unhealthy Love, Sergi Dutronc
- Miracle Making, Saiom Shriver
- Purpose, Passion, Faith & Love, Tom Zart
- Death Or Life, Saiom Shriver
- Discovery, Phil Soar