A Response To Ahmad Shawqi
Shawqi says, knowing nothing of my plight...
..."Stand for the teacher and honor his rank"
Sit, I implore you! Is someone honored...
...who for growing children is a close friend?
Anxiety grips me when the Prince says:
..."for a teacher is almost as a prophet"
If Shawqi tried teaching for but an hour...
...his would be a life of hardship and stress
A teacher's lot is frustration and depression...
...visions of notebooks day in and day out
Hundreds upon hundreds when they are graded...
...a path leading to nothing short of blindness
Don't be surprised if I cry out one day...
...and fall down murdered between those desks
For anyone seeking suicide I have found it...
...for a teacher does not live a long life.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Response To Ahmad Shawqi by Ibrahim Tukan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
David Herbert Lawrence
(11 September 1885 – 2 March 1930)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Clown in the Moon, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Realtor - Twas the Month Before Christmas, Tim Halladay
- Freedome Of Interior Imagination, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Pain and Love Thoughts, Tiger Auntunette
- THE PROXY, michael walkerjohn
- Soul and air, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Flowers, Clovisvaldo Marques Baleeiro
- My Poetic Existence, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..
- Safety In Dreams, Is It Poetry
- Death defies planning., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Vanaprastha, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.