William F Dougherty
A Promise to Keep (Update.)
Words are for those with promises to keep. — W.H. Auden
I promised her the garden's glory:
marigold's monarchal blooms,
ageratum's lavender fuzz, the
grainy beards of coxcombs' plumes;
sturdy zinnias, salvia's flames,
snapdragons, and tiger lilies: raw
cuttings from home to grace a stone
in final, promissory awe.
Crystal-needled frost struck and drained
the promised flowers brown; left them
in rows of shriveled heads to nod
on gallows of each blackened stem.
I bought chrysanthemums and filled
her navy vase with bronze and gold
clusters to decorate the grave—
my quaking hand let slip its hold.
The vase discharged against a stone
and shattered, as if the cobalt night
had cracked again: the fragments gemmed
my gold bouquet with bluish light.
The flowers lost—love left unsaid—
planted in my repentant sleep
the seeds to start a garden of words
where love and promises will keep.
(Re-worded published in 'The Lyric.' Fall,2012.
Earlier versions appeared in 'Owl Light, and
'Poems: New & Used.')
Who's Who in Poetry 2012 (page 1)
William F Dougherty's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Promise to Keep (Update.) by William F Dougherty )
- Intoxication-An alcoholic reverie, RAJ VIKRAM
- It is really love, gajanan mishra
- Clearing Out the Closet: Five Poems Wri.., Lawrence Beck
- Rainy Day, Dorsey Baker
- I Am Free!, Anna Colb
- food walk, lee fones
- The Now., RAJ VIKRAM
- The technique of survival., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- A Gift Logic Can't Buy, Donal Mahoney
- Rain-A Mirror, RAJ VIKRAM
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)