Constantine P. Cavafy
A Prince from Western Libya
Aristomenis, son of Menelaos,
the Prince from Western Libya,
was generally liked in Alexandria
during the ten days he spent there.
As his name, his dress, modest, was also Greek.
He received honors gladly,
but he did not solicit them; he was unassuming.
He bought Greek books,
especially history and philosophy.
Above all he was a man of few words.
It got around that he must be a profound thinker,
and men like that naturally don't speak very much.
He was neither a profound thinker nor anything else—
just a piddling, laughable man.
He assumed a Greek name, dressed like the Greeks,
learned to behave more or less like a Greek;
and all the time he was terrified he would spoil
his reasonably good image
by coming out with barbaric howlers in Greek
and the Alexandrians, in their usual way,
would make fun of him, vile people that they are.
This was why he limited himself to a few words,
terribly careful of his syntax and pronunciation;
and he was driven almost out of his mind, having
so much talk bottled up inside him.
Constantine P. Cavafy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Prince from Western Libya by Constantine P. Cavafy )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 February 1970-)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Main To Jhonka Hu Hava Ka Ura Le Jaunga, Kumar Vishwas
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
Poem of the Day
- Floating on Whimsy, Nika McGuin
- Weapon of Words, Yemi Amoo
- The Jars, Nika McGuin
- Heartfelt Trust, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- NIGHT WHISPER, john chizoba vincent
- Missing, Marilyn Jean
- Mourning Glory, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Seem Deprived, But..., Brave Hearts
- No More War for Heroes Forty-Four, Tom Navarro
- Vintage Dreams, Nika McGuin