Dante Gabriel Rossetti
LADY, in thy proud eyes
There is a weary look,
As if the spirit we know through them
Were daunted with rebuke
To think that the heart of man henceforth
Is read like a read book.
Lady, in thy lifted face
The solitude is sore;
The true solitude follows the crowd.
Will it be less or more
When the words have been spoken to thee
Which my heart is seeking for?
Lady, canst thou not guess
The words which my thoughts seek?
Perhaps thou deem'st them well to spurn
And better not to speak.
Oh thou must know my love is strong,
Hearing my voice so weak.
Lady, ah go not thus:
Lady, give ear again:
Lady, oh learn from me that yet
There may one thing remain
Which stands not in the knowledge thou hast
And in thy lore of men.
Lady, the darkness lasteth long
Ere the dawn touch the skies;
Many are the leagues of wilderness
Till ye come where the green lies;
Nay often betwixt doubt and doubt
Death whispers and makes wise.
Lady, has not my thought
Dared much? For I would be
The ending of darkness and the dawn
Of a new day to thee,
And thine oasis, and thy place of rest,
And thy time of peace, lady.
Dante Gabriel Rossetti's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Prayer by Dante Gabriel Rossetti )
- Living Through Expectations, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #53, Ronjoy Brahma
- Melancholy, Wani Rahil
- जिन्दगी छोटी सी...., chanchal gupta
- Rahi us shaqs se bichadkar ye gila - Gha.., Talab ...
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #52, Ronjoy Brahma
- Africa-the-Mermaid-Princess, Margaret Alice Second
- A Lasting Moment, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- आं उन्दुबाय, Ronjoy Brahma
- The girl of great beauty was not to be s.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- City That Does Not Sleep, Federico García Lorca
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(July 15 1964)
Hans Christian Andersen
(2 April 1805 – 4 August 1875)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(21 May 1855 – 27 November 1916)
(12 February 1828 – 18 May 1909)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)