Come, give, yield all your strength to me!
From far a low word breathes on the breaking brain
Its cruel calm, submission's misery,
Gentling her awe as to a soul predestined.
Cease, silent love! My doom!
Blind me with your dark nearness, O have mercy, beloved enemy of my will!
I dare not withstand the cold touch that I dread.
Draw from me still
My slow life! Bend deeper on me, threatening head,
Proud by my downfall, remembering, pitying
Him who is, him who was!
Together, folded by the night, they lay on earth. I hear
From far her low word breathe on my breaking brain.
Come! I yield. Bend deeper upon me! I am here.
Subduer, do not leave me! Only joy, only anguish,
Take me, save me, soothe me, O spare me!
James Joyce's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Prayer by James Joyce )
- In my heart - you are, gajanan mishra
- 9 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 2 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 31 July 2014, Shri R Brahma
- It's October 1st. Did you pay your mortg.., Jena Crowe
- Princess Diana, Sonia Ode Lucci
- Revolution, Revolution, Revolu -, Romella Kitchens
- हमें आपके लिए.. hame aapke liye, hasmukh amathalal
- Dusky Day in Dallas, michael walker
- Mom, Barbara Dixion
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)