A Poet's Beloved
If you surrender to a rich man, he may give you a mansion,
delicious foods, many a nice clothe and physical pleasure.
He may give you a heart as dead as a withered river.
He may love you too and make you the owner of a vast land.
Tell me, o virgin, can a mere land be the price of your body?
Those who are slaves of body are not able to recognize
the secret mines of mystery lying into the folds of your body.
Only the goldsmiths know the value of gold.
Who knows what a jewel your beauty is but a poet?
Be my beloved, o girl, you will gain the life of a nymph.
For your one wink, I will give you the heart of all flowers
and compose the new verses of kiss on your lips.
If you offer me your heart, o virgin, don't get afraid,
all on a sudden I will write an immortal epic for you.
Sayeed Abubakar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Poet's Beloved by Sayeed Abubakar )
- The lonely sun..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Textman, Naveed Khalid
- सिरि मोनथाम, Ronjoy Brahma
- Mother-land I weep for thee, Joseph Ogbonna
- Mother Teresa and I, SANDIP GOSWAMI
- Still Here, silenced work
- A Village Girl, Naveed Khalid
- A Song Of Harp, Naveed Khalid
- An African Woman I am... a Blessing or a.., Vivian Muciri
- You are Everywhere!, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stars, Joyce Kilmer
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)