A Personal Plea
To the two elderly ladies sitting in Row A:
Please could you not chat together during the play.
If having a chat is what you really want to do,
Then please wait until the interval half way through.
For the audience and the actors, I very much suspect
That neither of you two ladies has very much respect.
The actors on the stage are trying to tell a story,
And I’d really like to enjoy it in all its dazzling glory.
I find that my attention is constantly being distracted
From the story on stage, which is currently being enacted.
For many weeks, these actors have learnt lines and rehearsed;
Stay or go, but either way, neither of you will be reimbursed.
For front row seats, you must’ve paid pretty decent money,
But, your rudeness and your disrespect, I do not find funny.
That you’re having a full scale conversation, I cannot believe:
It’s a situation which, with anger, makes me want to seethe.
A theatre auditorium is not the place for a chat:
A café or a coffee shop is the place for that.
I’m sure that it isn’t urgent – what you’ve got to say,
So, please can you zip it, if you are going to stay.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Personal Plea by Angela Wybrow )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(c. 600 BCE)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Death Be Not Proud, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Wrapped Around Your Finger, Amber Carr
- With full freedom, hasmukh amathalal
- તે જ જોવાનું..tej jovaanu, hasmukh amathalal
- Sounds, Vera Sidhwa
- The Sounds, Vera Sidhwa
- Absence, Neela Nath
- Not Knowing What Might Have Been, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The rising, gajanan mishra
- Flowing Water, Vera Sidhwa
- Cooling Water, Vera Sidhwa