Joseph T. Renaldi
A Penny Candy Store
Walking by an old abandoned building
That once housed a penny candy store,
I envisioned all the wide-eyed children
As they gazed at the display of candy galore.
I was saddened by the closure,
And it took me back to the days of yore
When I, too, was spending my pennies
At the neighborhood's penny candy store.
As a youngster, I stared in disbelief
At all the candy unsurpassed
And often rubbed my fingers unconsciously on
The counter top of highly polished glass.
At the proprietor's helpful suggestion
I would only remain silent and gape.
The variety of candy caused me to be uncertain
As to what penny candy I would take.
What a thrill to have a penny in my hand?
It is a feeling that I still cherish today.
I was able to go to the penny candy store
To select and buy candy my own way.
Though I may still be indecisive at times
While viewing the niceties by the score,
The thoughts of time tried candy still remain
From the old, neighborhood candy store.
Joseph T. Renaldi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Penny Candy Store by Joseph T. Renaldi )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Parallel Lives, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- À L'ÉLU DE MON COEUR, Rosie Bourget
- Eagle, Luo Zhihai
- I Told You Often, Vera Sidhwa
- Watch Super Bowl 2015 Live Stream Online.., Renz Barns
- everything i ever wrote sort of had your.., Mandolyn ...
- Missing, Luo Zhihai
- THE FIRST TIME, Rosie Bourget
- [®XLIX~]Watch Super Bowl 2015 (49) Live.., Renz Barns
- Beyond Beds Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak