I do not wear a uniform
Nor a helmet on my head
I never carry a weapon
Or have seen my brothers bled.
I never stand at attention
Nor have I marched in line
I never fought for freedom
As what I own is already mine.
I do not salute any man
I humble down only to GOD
So I walk my own separate path
Whether at home or even abroad.
I wear no stripes upon my arms
There are no medals upon my chest
As I am just a civilian
Nothing more, and nothing less.
I know my national anthem
Whenever it is spoken or even sung
And tears still come unto my eyes
As proudly my head is hung.
Inside my soul their is a torch
I will be a patriot until the day I die
And I too will walk those proud lines
While still with pride for my flag I will cry.
I have never fought in a war
But I have passed our soldiers graves
I give thanks to the country that I live in
And to those soldiers, I give my praise.
Randy McClave's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Patriot by Randy McClave )
- when i loved you and you loved her and s.., Mandolyn ...
- LOve is replaced, hasmukh amathalal
- The lonely wolf, denise nixon
- He Sleeps Too Much, Jena Crowe
- Halloween Night, Neela Nath
- The Power Of Faith!, Tom Zart
- Desacralized..., Dorothy Kardas, Psy.D. Th.D.
- Pay attention, gajanan mishra
- The Sun Has Collapsed, Naveed Akram
- Auto-bond, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- Let Me Die A Youngman's Death, Roger McGough
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Ozymandias, Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(20 August 1948)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)