A Passing Soul
After I have lived and died
who shall there be to shed a tear or cry?
Friends silently utter words of praise
of a life shared of joyous yesterdays.
Now my body lies to be cremated thus,
before being turned to cindered dust.
No pain will be felt as flying embers I make
I leaving nothing behind but a metal hip plate.
For my spirit floated away some time ago.
Leaving the world of people I came to love and know.
Now nothing is left of me except ash and dust,
and a metal hip plate now slowly turning to rust.
Though we would wish a longer presence here
to live forever is something I would not cherish but fear.
So I am happy to leave this body of mine behind
for my spirit will always be 'somewhere' around.
And when the time is right and the sun shines high,
I've asked that my ashes be released high up in the sky
amongst majestic clouds that drift slowly across the ground
casting shadows that move without sound.
Heraldic angels could be heard if you were here to listen,
the sun's captured light making the metal hip plate glisten.
As it falls gracefully through the air,
there are things in life we must be aware -
what goes up always come down.
I hope my metal hip plate doesn't hit someone on their crown
JJ Evendon's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Passing Soul by JJ Evendon )
- There Are So Many Things..., Dr John Celes
- For Alex in Winter, Neal Beightol
- Last Words, Josilinia Plyman
- Bogus Are Your Deeds, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- An Unfortunate Death, Kim Barney
- in time, Cee Bea
- Genetic Predisposition And Violence, Is It Poetry
- Reading a Book, swapna bhattacharya
- Sparky, Rena Thompson
- Self-Portrait, swapna bhattacharya
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Ballad of Death, Algernon Charles Swinburne
- Aphrodisiac, Sheldon Allan Silverstein
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)