Oliver Wendell Holmes
A Noontide Lyric
THE dinner-bell, the dinner-bell
Is ringing loud and clear;
Through hill and plain, through street and lane,
It echoes far and near;
From curtained hall and whitewashed stall,
Wherever men can hide,
Like bursting waves from ocean caves,
They float upon the tide.
I smell the smell of roasted meat!
I hear the hissing fry
The beggars know where they can go,
But where, oh where shall I?
At twelve o'clock men took my hand,
At two they only stare,
And eye me with a fearful look,
As if I were a bear!
The poet lays his laurels down,
And hastens to his greens;
The happy tailor quits his goose,
To riot on his beans;
The weary cobbler snaps his thread,
The printer leaves his pi;
His very devil hath a home,
But what, oh what have I?
Methinks I hear an angel voice,
That softly seems to say
'Pale stranger, all may yet be well,
Then wipe thy tears away;
Erect thy head, and cock thy hat,
And follow me afar,
And thou shalt have a jolly meal,
And charge it at the bar.'
I hear the voice! I go! I go!
Prepare your meat and wine!
They little heed their future need
Who pay not when they dine.
Give me to-day the rosy bowl,
Give me one golden dream,--
To-morrow kick away the stool,
And dangle from the beam!
Oliver Wendell Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Noontide Lyric by Oliver Wendell Holmes )
- 주민등록증위조u i - r i＠hotｍａｉㅣ.ｃｏｍ운전면허증위조(직거래택배), hgytcyc dfzxdfsfz
- 성적증명서위조u i - r i＠hotｍａｉㅣ.ｃｏｍ졸업증명서위조, hgytcyc dfzxdfsfz
- A Solitary Fountain, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Illegal Affair, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Hell, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Death, Md. Ziaul Haque
- I Thought, Menkato Awomi
- Cry of Humanity!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Who Loves More? Let the Rain Decide, Md. Ziaul Haque
- 신갈 ANMA (ANMA) ☏０１０♭４８６７♭７５８２●신갈 MASSAJE, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Character, William Wordsworth
- November, Thomas Hood
- Nicholas Nye, Walter de la Mare
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)