Oliver Wendell Holmes
A Noontide Lyric
THE dinner-bell, the dinner-bell
Is ringing loud and clear;
Through hill and plain, through street and lane,
It echoes far and near;
From curtained hall and whitewashed stall,
Wherever men can hide,
Like bursting waves from ocean caves,
They float upon the tide.
I smell the smell of roasted meat!
I hear the hissing fry
The beggars know where they can go,
But where, oh where shall I?
At twelve o'clock men took my hand,
At two they only stare,
And eye me with a fearful look,
As if I were a bear!
The poet lays his laurels down,
And hastens to his greens;
The happy tailor quits his goose,
To riot on his beans;
The weary cobbler snaps his thread,
The printer leaves his pi;
His very devil hath a home,
But what, oh what have I?
Methinks I hear an angel voice,
That softly seems to say
'Pale stranger, all may yet be well,
Then wipe thy tears away;
Erect thy head, and cock thy hat,
And follow me afar,
And thou shalt have a jolly meal,
And charge it at the bar.'
I hear the voice! I go! I go!
Prepare your meat and wine!
They little heed their future need
Who pay not when they dine.
Give me to-day the rosy bowl,
Give me one golden dream,--
To-morrow kick away the stool,
And dangle from the beam!
Oliver Wendell Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Noontide Lyric by Oliver Wendell Holmes )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- A Fond Kiss, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- A Winter Night, Robert Burns
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
Poem of the Day
- Nature is a Beautiful Creation, Rohit Sapra
- Survivors, Tamara Mirianashvili
- Salve, Cee Bea
- Quatrain number 5, Leong Ming Loong
- Bachelorette for Life, Donal Mahoney
- Engaged, Sarah Wiltshire
- The Call Of Two Trumpets, Tony Adah
- I sleep, gajanan mishra
- I Looked Up At The Sky And Didn't See You, Kyle Schlicher
- Quatrain number 4, Leong Ming Loong