A Naboland Alphabet
A is for airborne, an arctic affair,
B is a box for a battered brown bear.
C is a clock that cannot count figures,
D is a desk for a diary, dumb diggers.
E is the earth through snow, etched in enamel,
F fur and a flask and a filigree camel.
G gives grey serge, grey print and grey sky,
H - here's a hare-mould, hull, herbs hanging dry.
I am implements, inclement weather, and ink,
J just a journeyman, jugs in the sink.
K is for keys and kit, kindliness, knives,
L a lantern, electric light, leathern archives.
M is for mushrooms made out of mops,
N is for nails bought in Naboland shops.
O is our open door, overland laps,
P printing and postcards, people perhaps.
Q is for quarto, the quest for quality,
R is the radio set, rubric, reality.
S is for scooter, skull, sandals and socks,
T is three toeprints trapped in the rocks.
U useful, unusual, the used and renewed,
V is the valor-stove very much valued.
W a white wilderness, from window upwinds,
X marks the xenographer mapping his finds.
Y is a yarn of the yester and yonder,
Z zeal in the zone of a zillion wonders.
Sally Evans's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Naboland Alphabet by Sally Evans )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 February 1970-)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Bright Star, John Keats
Poem of the Day
- Take My Hand, Michael P. McParland
- two line, Razaur Rahman
- WHERE STUPIDITY REIGNS, Michael P. Johnson
- Dillema of Poor, hafiz qasim
- The way Of Man, Tony Adah
- God, Save Me From Indian English Poets (.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Hollow Reed, Midnights Voice
- गोजां बोथोर - सोरबा नागिरदोँ गुदुं गुदुं, Ronjoy Brahma
- Rainfall, hafiz qasim
- Reading Elizabeth Bishop's Poem 'Insomnia', Merton Lee