Almedia Knight Oliver
A Mother's Collection: Tissues, Bones, And Blood (fourth)
While they were carefully restoring
The damaged done to my sacred house,
I heard a whisper in my ear,
"Mother you have a baby girl."
I had thought I would have another boy and
would name him "Lanzy- granddaddy's name"
Like my first born, I asked myself, what to do with
This little pink bundle of joy?
Oh my, a girl! Your dad jumped for joy for his
little girl born of my tears, tears, and pains.
Now a quarter century later- right before my eyes-
You've become a beautiful daughter, wife, mother, and sister.
Your passion to be and to do your best is evident in all of this.
As your mother, I learned much from my daughter:
To be a good listener,
An astute debater who, some times, gets in the last word.
To be caring and compassionate.
Be your mother and another girl friend.
Our reign as the only females are evident in all of these.
Now allow me to present my gift to you…
Oh, how I wish to give you diamonds and sapphires;
Rubies and emeralds!
Sorry darling, those things I have not.
But this I have a whole lot:
"my eternal unconditional love"
Almedia Knight Oliver's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Mother's Collection: Tissues, Bones, And Blood (fourth) by Almedia Knight Oliver )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- AM HOOKED IN YOUR TRUE LOVE., Changez Ndzai
- Coffee And Cream Chocolates, Michael P. McParland
- Bless You Tonight, Michael P. McParland
- You at the Center, rosalinda flores rosevoc
- Odia Poem- Brukshya Debata, Jitendra seth
- The Sorry Band-Aid, william upton
- Odia Poem- SATHI, Jitendra seth
- Odia Poem- BAPA, Jitendra seth
- Every Writer's Tale, Hebert Logerie
- At this time, hasmukh amathalal