Almedia Knight Oliver
A Mother's Collection: Tissues, Bones, And Blood (fourth)
While they were carefully restoring
The damaged done to my sacred house,
I heard a whisper in my ear,
"Mother you have a baby girl."
I had thought I would have another boy and
would name him "Lanzy- granddaddy's name"
Like my first born, I asked myself, what to do with
This little pink bundle of joy?
Oh my, a girl! Your dad jumped for joy for his
little girl born of my tears, tears, and pains.
Now a quarter century later- right before my eyes-
You've become a beautiful daughter, wife, mother, and sister.
Your passion to be and to do your best is evident in all of this.
As your mother, I learned much from my daughter:
To be a good listener,
An astute debater who, some times, gets in the last word.
To be caring and compassionate.
Be your mother and another girl friend.
Our reign as the only females are evident in all of these.
Now allow me to present my gift to you…
Oh, how I wish to give you diamonds and sapphires;
Rubies and emeralds!
Sorry darling, those things I have not.
But this I have a whole lot:
"my eternal unconditional love"
Almedia Knight Oliver's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Mother's Collection: Tissues, Bones, And Blood (fourth) by Almedia Knight Oliver )
- Last night was looking in my eyes, valentin savin
- Craving, Foster Teegarden
- Rain in summer امطار صيفية, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Poets everywhere, hasmukh amathalal
- New Sandwich, Von Kimball Barney
- Careless, Foster Teegarden
- Butterflies, Deborah Kelley
- Blurred, Foster Teegarden
- Marble Steps, Morgan Michaels
- Fabulous rich, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)