The sun is sinking,
Melting atop many-windowed bricks,
Like tangerine-painted ice shavings
From the corner cart.
The ice cream truck loops around the block,
Like a self-winding music box.
Sirens clamor for a solo,
While birds warble from their choir lofts.
Powerline to powerline,
Rooftop to Rooftop
And an occasional tree.
I smell dinner wafting out the cracks:
Corner pizza, hot oil, corn tortillas, cilantro
And red meat.
Bruised bricks embrace weary welding.
Plaster bleeds black at its creases
Like a sweating chimney sweep.
Westward, Cheery glass rectangles wink
Like geometric jewels glimmering.
And though these fool’s gold treasures
Will shed their shimmer like ice shavings
Spilling onto the sidewalk,
When open-mouthed shadows
Quench their thirst,
I welcome the tangerine veneer
Capping hungry interiors.
“Stop snitching Spanish Harlem.”
Spelled across an adjacent ledge.
Concrete reads like loose-leaf paper, Here.
But I won’t tell.
Soft lavender blankets hush the horizon,
Tucking in tenements like El Barrio children.
One misplaced white brushstroke above
Bookmarks a jet’s feathered silhouette.
Pale green steeples stretch.
Curved pipes shrug their shoulders.
Dusk rubs her eyes and rises,
While tires hum their lullabies
On 116th Street beneath.
It is time for these buildings to brush their teeth.
Descent is beckoning from the yawning stairwell.
But it’s this dirty silver girder,
A ‘once ghetto’s’ tightrope,
Slicing one diagonal
Amongst these squares,
That has become my seat.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Lullaby by Emily Dawn )
- Love: Don't Bargain, Aftab Alam
- War is lust and Peace is Love,, Aftab Alam
- CV, Mae AC.
- Endless game, hasmukh amathalal
- Seasonings of Sense, Mae AC.
- War And Not To Love, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- ISRO's MOM in Mars - Congrats to Indian .., Dr John Celes
- Free on the Breeze, Thomas Plotz
- Gather strength, hasmukh amathalal
- INDIA! INDIA!, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)