A Love Like None Other
Ah, the gaiety that must have overtaken
As they assembled the fabrics,
Recounting family stories told
From the nimbleness of their fingers,
A diary of their ages,
A treasure of a quilt began to grow,
So too the creativity
Of precious silken threads,
Painting needled pictures.
The treasured old bed, slept in,
Bumped up against, scarred,
A symbol of the hand tools used
Silent, now, like the man
So, too, the walnut tree
From which it was carved.
Fashioned with necessity
And shaped with great love,
The rope twisted and turned,
Much like a reflection of life itself.
At the hands of a mother, and aunt
Or a grandmother, the fabric
Once masqueraded as garments,
Shirts, dresses, and more.
Now, aged, faded and worn,
The quilt, is still a thing of beauty.
Life continued, as did the months,
The years, the past finding itself
In the present, transformed
Becoming more mature.
The strong frame of the bed,
Like the frame of their marriage
A criss cross of a map, a mat
Filled with down, their wedding bed,
The pallet upon which they only
Were aware of each other
And of their pent up lust.
Now only the bed and its cover remain
A treasure like their love,
A love like none other.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Love Like None Other by Jackie Allen )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 February 1970-)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Silent Noon, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Still Awake 2, Michael P. McParland
- Esprit de corps, Naveed Khalid
- Escaping Home, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Enjoying Conversations, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- How Long A Breath of Moment Be...(r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Communicating Through Talent, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Moments Of Refreshing Writing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God., Th@ We N0t, sEaN nOrTh
- only Dfence against a rhythm - Boi, sEaN nOrTh
- Snuggle 2, Michael P. McParland