A Long Time Ago.
-Do you remember him? It was a long time ago. Jewel?
-Oh, yes. He held my childhood in his furry grip.
-Sure. And I played his game once or twice, and won!
-And you, Juana?
-I'm not sure. I think I remember him. What did he look like, again?
-Ears, I suppose, were his most conspicuous trait. Long they were, and covered with dark, soft hair.
-Oooo, that makes me shiver. I'm sure our paths must have crossed.
- And his nose went wiggle-waggle-wiggle.
Yes, almost definitely.
-And he had rheumatism and hopped along with a cane, striped red, blue and white, like a barber's pole. The kind you still see on West 23rd Street. Some traditions never die.
-But on second thought, I'm not really sure-
That's ok. It was before you emigrated. Besides, he had a girlfriend. Does anyone remember her name?
-That would be Nurse Jane Fuzzy-Wuzzy, the muskrat lady.
-Kudos, Janis, that's absolutely right.Memory is a funny thing.
-Wait a minute. Didn't she do a lot of baking?
-almost never took her head out of the oven. Right, again, Jewel.
-I think they were married.
-No, Janis, you're wrong, they weren't. I think Uncle Wiggly was in it for the pie.
-Just so. But admit it- he was ahead of his time.
-In what sense?
-Um, he was the first rabbit to call an automobile a car!
-Is that all?
-Small fish. Anything else?
Morgan Michaels's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Long Time Ago. by Morgan Michaels )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- How Do I Love Thee?, Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Poem of the Day
- You is Me, Mapung Madura
- Legendary Nostradamus Prophet, lee fones
- Thomas' Impossible Escape, Susan Wetmore
- Business-like, gajanan mishra
- Why Poetry Is Beautiful, Leong Ming Loong
- Blood Bath, Suresh Dogra
- Her Yes, Suresh Dogra
- Schools place of transformation., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I love the poet for ever, gajanan mishra
- A Shameless Thief, Chris Zachariou