A Long Time Ago.
-Do you remember him? It was a long time ago. Jewel?
-Oh, yes. He held my childhood in his furry grip.
-Sure. And I played his game once or twice, and won!
-And you, Juana?
-I'm not sure. I think I remember him. What did he look like, again?
-Ears, I suppose, were his most conspicuous trait. Long they were, and covered with dark, soft hair.
-Oooo, that makes me shiver. I'm sure our paths must have crossed.
- And his nose went wiggle-waggle-wiggle.
Yes, almost definitely.
-And he had rheumatism and hopped along with a cane, striped red, blue and white, like a barber's pole. The kind you still see on West 23rd Street. Some traditions never die.
-But on second thought, I'm not really sure-
That's ok. It was before you emigrated. Besides, he had a girlfriend. Does anyone remember her name?
-That would be Nurse Jane Fuzzy-Wuzzy, the muskrat lady.
-Kudos, Janis, that's absolutely right.Memory is a funny thing.
-Wait a minute. Didn't she do a lot of baking?
-almost never took her head out of the oven. Right, again, Jewel.
-I think they were married.
-No, Janis, you're wrong, they weren't. I think Uncle Wiggly was in it for the pie.
-Just so. But admit it- he was ahead of his time.
-In what sense?
-Um, he was the first rabbit to call an automobile a car!
-Is that all?
-Small fish. Anything else?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Long Time Ago. by Morgan Michaels )
- The Passing of the Lord, Translation of .., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Teleskof, Edward Kofi Louis
- Bearing With One Another, Edward Kofi Louis
- Danyell, Edward Kofi Louis
- ap english, imani halley
- Out Of Love, Edward Kofi Louis
- Pagan To The Truth, Edward Kofi Louis
- Uplifting One Another, Edward Kofi Louis
- Kelita, Edward Kofi Louis
- Feliciano, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- avenues america, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)