A June Night
Ten o'clock: the broken moon
Hangs not yet a half hour high,
Yellow as a shield of brass,
In the dewy air of June,
Poised between the vaulted sky
And the ocean's liquid glass.
Earth lies in the shadow still;
Low black bushes, trees, and lawn
Night's ambrosial dews absorb;
Through the foliage creeps a thrill,
Whispering of yon spectral dawn
And the hidden climbing orb.
Higher, higher, gathering light,
Veiling with a golden gauze
All the trembling atmosphere,
See, the rayless disk grows white!
Hark, the glittering billows pause!
Faint, far sounds possess the ear.
Elves on such a night as this
Spin their rings upon the grass;
On the beach the water-fay
Greets her lover with a kiss;
Through the air swift spirits pass,
Laugh, caress, and float away.
Shut thy lids and thou shalt see
Angel faces wreathed with light,
Mystic forms long vanished hence.
Ah, too fine, too rare, they be
For the grosser mortal sight,
And they foil our waking sense.
Yet we feel them floating near,
Know that we are not alone,
Though our open eyes behold
Nothing save the moon's bright sphere,
In the vacant heavens shown,
And the ocean's path of gold.
Emma Lazarus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A June Night by Emma Lazarus )
- falling down a well- well, you pushed me, Mandolyn ...
- Indeed, george albot
- Poets, Do You Agree?, Sandra Feldman
- broad boy souffle, derrick foster
- PH: Nature: Canoeing The Mississippi - P.., Brian Johnston
- Steps Of Purpose, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Whispers Of Ancient Parables, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Unanswerable 3, Frank Avon
- Being Enlightened, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Unanswerable 2, Frank Avon
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns