A June Night
Ten o'clock: the broken moon
Hangs not yet a half hour high,
Yellow as a shield of brass,
In the dewy air of June,
Poised between the vaulted sky
And the ocean's liquid glass.
Earth lies in the shadow still;
Low black bushes, trees, and lawn
Night's ambrosial dews absorb;
Through the foliage creeps a thrill,
Whispering of yon spectral dawn
And the hidden climbing orb.
Higher, higher, gathering light,
Veiling with a golden gauze
All the trembling atmosphere,
See, the rayless disk grows white!
Hark, the glittering billows pause!
Faint, far sounds possess the ear.
Elves on such a night as this
Spin their rings upon the grass;
On the beach the water-fay
Greets her lover with a kiss;
Through the air swift spirits pass,
Laugh, caress, and float away.
Shut thy lids and thou shalt see
Angel faces wreathed with light,
Mystic forms long vanished hence.
Ah, too fine, too rare, they be
For the grosser mortal sight,
And they foil our waking sense.
Yet we feel them floating near,
Know that we are not alone,
Though our open eyes behold
Nothing save the moon's bright sphere,
In the vacant heavens shown,
And the ocean's path of gold.
Emma Lazarus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A June Night by Emma Lazarus )
- because we're both globe-trotters, Mandolyn ...
- Interior Constraint, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Silent voice, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- The Gentlemen For Me, Poetic Lilly Emery
- The eyes of the stars is the eyes of Sta.., Raymond Sawyer
- Let's Live in Peace, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- I Dry My Tears, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Valley of an autumn's night, Raluca Mitra
- The stars that touch a rose is the star.., Raymond Sawyer
- *Halloween Stroll, Alice Vedral Rivera
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1927)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)