A Homeless Man
Those cold hands sheltered in his lap...
A simple life chosen to live, perhaps?
Could no bed be offered though?
Not even a chair?
In that desolate, gray street of the city
frozen like ice, but still calmly sitting
a cigarette is lit
and- smoking, fretting, spitting -
he makes his retreat from human affairs
And so, another lonely story
without any care
shoots a puffy white cloud
of smoke in the air
and I can't help but stare...
at all of his dreams
briefly lingering there
as he disappears
leaving the cold, winter road seem
And the sun in the sky is
In my eyes as it rises
I look at this guy
As he tries not to cry his
Sometimes we drive by
even though he needs help
The indifference within
is a sin in itself
Only focused on the ladders
we climb and we climb
And Heaven forbid
if you're not to work on time
Maybe he's hungry; he very well could be sad
Maybe bad luck's all the luck that he's had
Perhaps he was rich and traded stocks for big cash
'till the whole market crashed
- fortune gone in a flash
Maybe he thought,
'In America, land of Prosperity,
With so many Christian hearts filled with Sincerity
Surely someone will lead me back to the fun
I'll repay them their kindness - no harm will be done…'
'…But in the Home of the Brave and the greatest of lands
Not one single man will lend me a hand...
When an insult and pocket change is all that I find
In my sweet home America - I must've lost my mind! '
I see the sun in your eyes,
in the sky as it rises
Remember my friend,
life is full of surprises
And one day…
You may find yourself standing next to him
Beggin' for bucks; beggin' for change;
Down on your luck; down in the drain;
Lookin' aroun' with a frown on your face
Cuz you ran outta gas
and now your ass is sittin' out of the race
Could you ever let go of the stuff you don't need?
Or, is it deep in your bones and the blood that you bleed?
did you read the fine print in your contract on the day
you signed your soul and life away?
if you ever see a lonely story
Without any care
cold wind in his hair
Mmaybe his thumb in the air...
Stare if you dare
but, consider it fair - -
Fairly likely that one day
It could be little
Ray Quesada's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Homeless Man by Ray Quesada )
- O Beija-flor, Von Kimball Barney
- A Sincere Apology, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Leaves in Colors, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Never Give Up, Lilly Emery
- sterilization process of our modern system, Anthony Cavuoti
- Kopje onder, Madrason writer
- five past three, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Trapdoor, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Gans Veer, Madrason writer
- Be What You Are, Lilly Emery
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns