A Gingham Dress- Beth's Memories
He told me that
he had seen me
on the cover of a dime store novel;
that I looked a lot prettier in person.
On our first date
he brought my mother
a box of cigars
and my father
a dozen used golf balls.
The trunk of his car had no lid
and you could see the road
on the passenger side beneath your feet.
He had charm.
He stood under my bedroom window
and tied a note to a brick;
it broke the window
set off burglar alarms;
the police came
and he apologized.
We went to dinner and he smelled like chicken poop
from putting barb wire around the chicken coop.
I told him pigs will fly before I married him
and he showed up the next day
at the hardware store
where I worked
with a pig in the flatbed of a pick-up truck.
He called me out
strapping wings on the pig
“Pig to fly on runway nine
Pig to fly on runway niner.”
He had charm.
Showed up one Saturday
wearing a gingham dress
over his jeans
saving he was saving up
to buy it for me.
“How does it look? ”
he said, “wanted to be sure.”
I was sure.
Oh, he still has charm;
lots of it rubs off on me.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Gingham Dress- Beth's Memories by Lonnie Hicks )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Gordon D Wilkinson
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- I Scream, Michael P. McParland
- If We Were Good......., Sandra Feldman
- Consolation, Tony Adah
- Goodnight Kiss, Michael P. McParland
- Marshes Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- What I Dream And What I Find, Amitava Sur
- Waves Within...., Umasree Raghunath
- Children of Peshawar! My heart bleeds fo.., Umasree Raghunath
- A History Of The Future- What's THAT? ? .., Bri Edwards
- Epistle therefrom Death, Sir Toby Moses