A Gingham Dress- Beth's Memories
He told me that
he had seen me
on the cover of a dime store novel;
that I looked a lot prettier in person.
On our first date
he brought my mother
a box of cigars
and my father
a dozen used golf balls.
The trunk of his car had no lid
and you could see the road
on the passenger side beneath your feet.
He had charm.
He stood under my bedroom window
and tied a note to a brick;
it broke the window
set off burglar alarms;
the police came
and he apologized.
We went to dinner and he smelled like chicken poop
from putting barb wire around the chicken coop.
I told him pigs will fly before I married him
and he showed up the next day
at the hardware store
where I worked
with a pig in the flatbed of a pick-up truck.
He called me out
strapping wings on the pig
“Pig to fly on runway nine
Pig to fly on runway niner.”
He had charm.
Showed up one Saturday
wearing a gingham dress
over his jeans
saving he was saving up
to buy it for me.
“How does it look? ”
he said, “wanted to be sure.”
I was sure.
Oh, he still has charm;
lots of it rubs off on me.
Lonnie Hicks's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Gingham Dress- Beth's Memories by Lonnie Hicks )
- Love: Don't Bargain, Aftab Alam
- War is lust and Peace is Love,, Aftab Alam
- CV, Mae AC.
- Endless game, hasmukh amathalal
- Seasonings of Sense, Mae AC.
- War And Not To Love, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- ISRO's MOM in Mars - Congrats to Indian .., Dr John Celes
- Free on the Breeze, Thomas Plotz
- Gather strength, hasmukh amathalal
- INDIA! INDIA!, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)