A Game of Bridge
The pack is shuffled and cut,
the dealer gives each his lot.
I sense Hope welling up within,
whispering, “It is your turn to win”.
I pick up my allotted share,
expecting a set good and fair;
a hand I can play with flair.
My Hope is dashed, I despair.
Ego steps in, whispering, “Not to worry,
Lady Luck has planned things this way,
she often works in a roundabout way;
your partner will help you win the day”.
The bidding starts: No Bid, One Heart.
Now it is my partner's turn to play his part,
Bid 'Slam' and make my day.
'No Bid, ’ comes the reply.
My jaw drops, my Ego deflates;
and within me a strange feeling flares:
one of anger mixed with shame,
and the need for someone to blame.
I've known this feeling many times before,
and each time I vowed and solemnly swore
to banish false Hope, Ego, and Lady Luck,
those shadowy false friends of every punk.
The cards are dealt again.
That feeling is back again,
My friends are here again;
Surely, I can’t lose again!
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Game of Bridge by Isam Hussain )
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone And Drinking Under The Moon, Li Po
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- A Single Black Rose, Michael Koelliker
Poem of the Day
- Flowers, Clovisvaldo Marques Baleeiro
- My Poetic Existence, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..
- Safety In Dreams, Is It Poetry
- Death defies planning., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Vanaprastha, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Broken vision, Lubinda Lubinda
- Two hands to kill, hasmukh amathalal
- With few bucks, hasmukh amathalal
- Nature's love and hate song, Anu Shraddha
- Humanity in person, hasmukh amathalal