A Game of Bridge
The pack is shuffled and cut,
the dealer gives each his lot.
I sense Hope welling up within,
whispering, “It is your turn to win”.
I pick up my allotted share,
expecting a set good and fair;
a hand I can play with flair.
My Hope is dashed, I despair.
Ego steps in, whispering, “Not to worry,
Lady Luck has planned things this way,
she often works in a roundabout way;
your partner will help you win the day”.
The bidding starts: No Bid, One Heart.
Now it is my partner's turn to play his part,
Bid 'Slam' and make my day.
'No Bid, ’ comes the reply.
My jaw drops, my Ego deflates;
and within me a strange feeling flares:
one of anger mixed with shame,
and the need for someone to blame.
I've known this feeling many times before,
and each time I vowed and solemnly swore
to banish false Hope, Ego, and Lady Luck,
those shadowy false friends of every punk.
The cards are dealt again.
That feeling is back again,
My friends are here again;
Surely, I can’t lose again!
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Game of Bridge by Isam Hussain )
- Thoughtful Interlude, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Another Look At Easter, Denis Martindale
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #10, Ronjoy Brahma
- Lost Love Redux, Robert Kane
- When I see u, dipa bhattacharyya
- This Flower, Rohit Sapra
- Pretend, dipa bhattacharyya
- This unknown world هذا العالم المجهول, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- IF, dipa bhattacharyya
- This unknown world, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Not Waving but Drowning, Stevie Smith
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Heather Burns