Around the corner I have a friend,
In this great city that has no end,
Yet the days go by and weeks rush on,
And before I know it a year has gone.
And I never see my old friend's face,
For life is a swift and terrible race,
She knows I like her just as well,
As in the days I rang her bell.
And she rang mine but life went on with a whirl,
And now we are busy, tired girls,
Tired of playing a foolish game,
Tired of trying to make a name.
'Tomorrow, ' I say, 'I will call on Harper
Just to show I'm thinking of her.'
But tomorrow comes nad tomorrow goes,
And distance between us grows and grows,
Around the corner, yet miles away,
'Here's a telegram miss, ' 'Harper died today.'
And that's what we get and deserve in the end,
Around te corner, a vanished friend.
Remember to always say what you mean;
If you love someone, tell them.
Don't be afraid to express yourself.
Reach out and tell someone what they mean to you,
Because when you decide that it is the right time it might be too late.
Tiana Webb's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Friend by Tiana Webb )
- The boogeyman, Harold R Hunt Sr
- God Alone Knows Our Needs, Dr John Celes
- Static scene, hasmukh amathalal
- My fiance, ramesh rai
- Oh Now, Chris Broast
- A Personal Tribute: In Praise of a Perso.., Dr John Celes
- The Day after grad., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Micro unto Macro, Curtlan Popo
- Birds in a Cage, Tango Tango
- Old House, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Poetry, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)