Around the corner I have a friend,
In this great city that has no end,
Yet the days go by and weeks rush on,
And before I know it a year has gone.
And I never see my old friend's face,
For life is a swift and terrible race,
She knows I like her just as well,
As in the days I rang her bell.
And she rang mine but life went on with a whirl,
And now we are busy, tired girls,
Tired of playing a foolish game,
Tired of trying to make a name.
'Tomorrow, ' I say, 'I will call on Harper
Just to show I'm thinking of her.'
But tomorrow comes nad tomorrow goes,
And distance between us grows and grows,
Around the corner, yet miles away,
'Here's a telegram miss, ' 'Harper died today.'
And that's what we get and deserve in the end,
Around te corner, a vanished friend.
Remember to always say what you mean;
If you love someone, tell them.
Don't be afraid to express yourself.
Reach out and tell someone what they mean to you,
Because when you decide that it is the right time it might be too late.
Tiana Webb's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Friend by Tiana Webb )
- FREE FALL, Bironga Chadwick
- Imbalance, Hans Raj Sharma
- Festival Of Light, Amitava Sur
- YouTube and Phalloplasty, Jeff Gangwer
- Journey, Dave Cadaqu
- Brad Pitt / Brad Dourif, Jeff Gangwer
- History / Your Dust, Jeff Gangwer
- "...through your rape whistle", Jeff Gangwer
- "Angels are...", Jeff Gangwer
- Your Ghost Doesn't Haunt This Room, Jeff Gangwer
Poem of the Day
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Primitive, Sharon Olds
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)