A Father's Legacy
My Father's words are my legacy
He gave the pen of ardent writing.
The love for books and careful study,
And wealth of knowledge gained by reading.
The gift of painting self portraits
In oil and watercolor mediums
As artist he had various traits
That lingers now like sweet perfume.
He taught me best the gift of laughter,
Sincerity in friendships made,
In conflict silence is much greater
And cursing he always forbade.
'Strive to gain sound education
Value work and your family
Respect the race of any nation
Live well your life with integrity.'
He never schooled at parenting
And he may not be a perfect one
Through all mistakes and human failings
He lived this life an honest man.
He passed the torch and made life rich
By leaving me with all these lessons
Though in my heart I suffer grief
His love and memory will live on.
God bless you Daddy, you're the best!
With love and thanks - goodbye!
You've made the mark and passed your test
And now with angels you can fly.
FOR YOU DADDY ****
Vicente de Jesus Buhain Jr.
April 27,1920 - May 5,2009
'And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God.'
Copyright May 5,2009
Cynthia BuhainBaello's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Father's Legacy by Cynthia BuhainBaello )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Preface To A Twenty Volume Suicide Note, Imamu Amiri Baraka
- Out, Out, Robert Frost
- Barter, Sara Teasdale
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Changing Everything, Jane Hirshfield
- If Thou Of Fortune Be Bereft, John Greenleaf Whittier
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
Poem of the Day
- Earth's work of heart, Roann Mendriq
- Poem for Gushungo, Wensislaus Mbirimi
- A Cheaper Way To Fly, Darren Hobson
- Dear Lonely Animal,, Oni Buchanan
- And The World, Darren Hobson
- Heaven Must Be A Lonely Place, Derek Brendish
- all at once..., ging taping
- Could I Walk Alone?, Derek Brendish
- Human Karma, Harindhar Reddy
- A Madman, Tanya K.Tuomi