A Father's Legacy
My Father's words are my legacy
He gave the pen of ardent writing.
The love for books and careful study,
And wealth of knowledge gained by reading.
The gift of painting self portraits
In oil and watercolor mediums
As artist he had various traits
That lingers now like sweet perfume.
He taught me best the gift of laughter,
Sincerity in friendships made,
In conflict silence is much greater
And cursing he always forbade.
'Strive to gain sound education
Value work and your family
Respect the race of any nation
Live well your life with integrity.'
He never schooled at parenting
And he may not be a perfect one
Through all mistakes and human failings
He lived this life an honest man.
He passed the torch and made life rich
By leaving me with all these lessons
Though in my heart I suffer grief
His love and memory will live on.
God bless you Daddy, you're the best!
With love and thanks - goodbye!
You've made the mark and passed your test
And now with angels you can fly.
FOR YOU DADDY ****
Vicente de Jesus Buhain Jr.
April 27,1920 - May 5,2009
'And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God.'
Copyright May 5,2009
Cynthia BuhainBaello's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Father's Legacy by Cynthia BuhainBaello )
- Staying Power, Michael McParland
- On The Brink Of Heaven, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Names, Frank Avon
- Freedom, stephen ifill
- A Challenge Title Contest - 2014's Nov. .., Brian Johnston
- Missing Links, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Evermore, Sheehan Patrick Augustine
- A lovely even for the stars of respect., Raymond Sawyer
- Silence Passed, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I am thankful for my children Ethan, and.., Sagrario Garcia
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- It Is the Hour, George Gordon Byron
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(8 August 1884 – 29 January 1933)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1927)
- Heather Burns
(1644 - 1694)