RIC S. BASTASA
A Family Landmark
It did not start with us. we are smooth as the outer skin of porcelain.they did not make us their problems. we followed the rules. we bowed to the faces of authorities.
it was grandpa, who at the age of 79 decided to marry a woman of 19. She was not decent at all. Her hair hid some snakes. We saw it once when we had dinner together in that old house.
grandpa was blinded by his lust. we were patient for light. since he had the money and the power we did nothing but attend to his wedding ceremony.
the woman had black lips. her hands were gnarled so she kept on wearing gloves.
everyday she wore masks, always choosing the angry ones. I guess she was angry with her childhood and her family.
grandmother died early. She had fats all over her body, and then she lost her reason to live. When she died i was only 5 years old, but i had a sharp memory of her then when she kept all the best bread in her room.
after the marriage took place in the famous church of the city, we left the honeymooners in their chosen room. It was expensive.
Aunt who was from Manila decided that we better see the Shrine where Rizal was under the custody of a military general.
Then the news broke out. Grandpa was murdered by his second wife. Inside his room the woman was gone. Taking all the money and his shotgun.
RIC S. BASTASA's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Family Landmark by RIC S. BASTASA )
Did you read them?
- 'तस्वीर', Rahul Vyas
- दंङ आंहा कलम गंसे, Ronjoy Brahma
- Men are sexually cruel., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Decrepit, Adam Ruudiina
- NEELA NATH Opulent Poetess Extraordinair.., Mr. Nobody Nothing
- Not with tears, hasmukh amathalal
- Laziness, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Dreams or Dust?, Adam Ruudiina
- Shut up for good, gajanan mishra
- The Enemy, Jose Orozco
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 March 1926 – 25 July 1966)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)