John Greenleaf Whittier
A Dream Of Summer
Bland as the morning breath of June
The southwest breezes play;
And, through its haze, the winter noon
Seems warm as summer's day.
The snow-plumed Angel of the North
Has dropped his icy spear;
Again the mossy earth looks forth,
Again the streams gush clear.
The fox his hillside cell forsakes,
The muskrat leaves his nook,
The bluebird in the meadow brakes
Is singing with the brook.
'Bear up, O Mother Nature!' cry
Bird, breeze, and streamlet free;
'Our winter voices prophesy
Of summer days to thee!'
So, in those winters of the soul,
By bitter blasts and drear
O'erswept from Memory's frozen pole,
Will sunny days appear.
Reviving Hope and Faith, they show
The soul its living powers,
And how beneath the winter's snow
Lie germs of summer flowers!
The Night is mother of the Day,
The Winter of the Spring,
And ever upon old Decay
The greenest mosses cling.
Behind the cloud the starlight lurks,
Through showers the sunbeams fall;
For God, who loveth all His works,
Has left His hope with all!
John Greenleaf Whittier's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Dream Of Summer by John Greenleaf Whittier )
- Waltz of a Dream, Nathalie Handal
- La Movida, Nathalie Handal
- Scary and Nightmarey Ghost Walked, Harindhar Reddy
- I give You the Love of Calla-lily, Harindhar Reddy
- Captured In Chambers Of My Heart, Narayana Raghavan
- Beauty Revisited, Narayana Raghavan
- Santiago, Nathalie Handal
- Limerick-36, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Nightened Color, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Hello Man! Dawn Cracks Darkness (Cinquain), Harindhar Reddy
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
- Dulce et Decorum Est, Wilfred Owen
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1886 - 1967)
Andrew Barton Paterson
(17 February 1864 – 5 February 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)