Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis
A Different Meaning
It is truly as lucid as lucid can be;
It is plain as the nose on your face
Though the tactics may be a disgrace, don't you see,
The tactician is not a disgrace.
He may wobble and swerve and crayfish and curve
It is all of it part of the game
But you mustn't say 'Wobbler,' for, prithee, observe
That the meaning is not quite the same.
One might carry this argument ever so far
There is not the least good in denying
That though a man's talk may be lies you must baulk
At describing the talker as 'lying.'
His work may be slow, but it's nonsense, you know.
To declare that the man's a 'slow worker.'
And it he should shirk in the House all his work
'Twould be foolish to call him a 'shirker.'
In quoting such things one could fill up a ream;
It is so to the end of the chatter.
A man who adapts his adversary's scheme,
He need never be called an 'adapter.'
And if he should fuse, it is not the least use
To describe him as being a 'Fuser.'
Such a use of the word is distinctly absurd,
And would earn but contempt for the user.
For a statesman's a statesman right on to the end,
Never mind what his actions resemble;
He may bargain and palter and stumble and falter
And wheedle and scheme and dissemble.
But, observe, these are acts, and though probably facts
That would earn for the mere politician
A horrible name, it is not quite the same
When applied to a master tactician.
And so, you electors, when chewing the ended
Of reflection, attend to this study.
And observe, though a member may meddle with mud
He in not, of necessity, muddy.
Though he turns like a weathercock ten ways at once,
Till you never know which way he's leaning,
To call him a weathercock proves you a dunce,
For it has quite a different meaning.
Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Different Meaning by Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis )
- Baat toh itni si…., Priyanka Nayak
- Missing You, Priyanka Nayak
- On The Death Of Ella Fitzgerald, Shalom Freedman
- It's All Fare in Love, Akhtar Jawad
- Blissful Atmosphere, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Going beyond death, see me, gajanan mishra
- Total Anticipation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- opganda.com ≡오피뷰≡ 허니버터칩 '수원휴게텔대박'…'동탄휴게텔.., bkgfkvbkgfkv bkgfkv
- opganda.com ≡오피뷰≡ 허니버터칩 '강남오피대박'…'동탄휴게텔'.., bkgfkvbkgfkv bkgfkv
- Being with you means a lot!, Sumita Jetley
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(22 March 1941 -)