A Day Out
Bare feet! On the beach
Sand between your toes
Tide out. Almost out of reach
Air full of laughter of happy children’s souls.
Race to the shore line
Trousers turned up
Sun and heat, it’s fine
Cold water over toes, lapping.
K’s in the water, splashing.
Falls over, soaked! Squeals
Back on his feet, reels.
Back up the sands
Past the tethered donkeys
Down in a thump we land
Eating sand covered sarnie’s
Up top, into the fair
His eyes wide at the magic
Seeing the rides, wondering if he dares
Colours bright, he trips the light. Fantastic.
Mini roller coaster he rides,
Fast, up and down
He cannot hide his smiles
Ride stops, not a frown.
Onto the next, in a plane
Flying high as his imagination takes him
On a horses back, gripping its mane
Children’s voices, like a song to sing.
Day is over, he’s not slowing
Bampi is flagging
No sign of lagging.
His smile has been contagious
Shinning brighter than the sun
The day is done.
Robert Green's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Day Out by Robert Green )
- Why Must There Be Dragonflies?, Stephen Warren Williams
- Enough is Enough!, Shaila Touchton
- For Boy George (The First Time I Saw You), Dave Alan Walker
- Acceptance, Barbara Dixion
- The Pendulum of Life, bryan wallace
- Sentiments Of Love, Louis Borgo
- Forever Free, courtney metcalf
- Rage Against the Machine, Amber Hardisty
- Out, Barbara Dixion
- Raindrop Ambitions, Ailill Ailill
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(1644 - 1694)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1927)