A Day Out
Bare feet! On the beach
Sand between your toes
Tide out. Almost out of reach
Air full of laughter of happy children’s souls.
Race to the shore line
Trousers turned up
Sun and heat, it’s fine
Cold water over toes, lapping.
K’s in the water, splashing.
Falls over, soaked! Squeals
Back on his feet, reels.
Back up the sands
Past the tethered donkeys
Down in a thump we land
Eating sand covered sarnie’s
Up top, into the fair
His eyes wide at the magic
Seeing the rides, wondering if he dares
Colours bright, he trips the light. Fantastic.
Mini roller coaster he rides,
Fast, up and down
He cannot hide his smiles
Ride stops, not a frown.
Onto the next, in a plane
Flying high as his imagination takes him
On a horses back, gripping its mane
Children’s voices, like a song to sing.
Day is over, he’s not slowing
Bampi is flagging
No sign of lagging.
His smile has been contagious
Shinning brighter than the sun
The day is done.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Day Out by Robert Green )
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Play The Game, Jessie Pope
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- PH: Echo: True Love, Brian Johnston
- Snow Blind..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Nostalgia, Rimni chakravarty
- The Spirit-World, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Blinded by stress, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Of Fauns Of Satyrs, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The next activity, Emmanuel George Cefai
- As aged I, Emmanuel George Cefai
- true friend, Rani Jain
- In laziness begot, Emmanuel George Cefai