A Day Like Any Other
The hills are dressed in olive drab,
bristled by the crowns of trees
that plant their asterisks in the ground.
The milk-mottled clouds, impotent
as the sun, a silver disk,
burnish the rippled sky.
Neither a fly nor hawk draws near.
This is my chance to disappear.
The bush is dripping its melancholy
on the grass. Upstairs, cold tea
waits for me in a cracked ceramic cup
with my name on it.
The letters have faded, the painted
roses have leeched their scarlet inks.
It was a gift.
There is always one last snow to smother
the spring. And here it comes
to cache the woods still awaiting
the grey rains of April that cleave
the early blossoms from the stems.
It is not me, here, grieving sickly
toward the sky. I have buried myself
beneath the dark earth, dun
as a workhouse mule.
It is not Easter here
in the core of this loam
where nothing is nourished
and nothing is reborn.
Caroline Misner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Day Like Any Other by Caroline Misner )
- Festival Of Light, Amitava Sur
- YouTube and Phalloplasty, Jeff Gangwer
- Journey, Dave Cadaqu
- Brad Pitt / Brad Dourif, Jeff Gangwer
- History / Your Dust, Jeff Gangwer
- "...through your rape whistle", Jeff Gangwer
- "Angels are...", Jeff Gangwer
- Your Ghost Doesn't Haunt This Room, Jeff Gangwer
- She Wore Poison on Her Neck, Jeff Gangwer
- Yes or No?, Jeff Gangwer
Poem of the Day
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Primitive, Sharon Olds
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)