A Day Like Any Other
The hills are dressed in olive drab,
bristled by the crowns of trees
that plant their asterisks in the ground.
The milk-mottled clouds, impotent
as the sun, a silver disk,
burnish the rippled sky.
Neither a fly nor hawk draws near.
This is my chance to disappear.
The bush is dripping its melancholy
on the grass. Upstairs, cold tea
waits for me in a cracked ceramic cup
with my name on it.
The letters have faded, the painted
roses have leeched their scarlet inks.
It was a gift.
There is always one last snow to smother
the spring. And here it comes
to cache the woods still awaiting
the grey rains of April that cleave
the early blossoms from the stems.
It is not me, here, grieving sickly
toward the sky. I have buried myself
beneath the dark earth, dun
as a workhouse mule.
It is not Easter here
in the core of this loam
where nothing is nourished
and nothing is reborn.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Day Like Any Other by Caroline Misner )
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(25 July 1956)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Thanks for Remembering Us, Dana Gioia
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Tarantella, Hilaire Belloc
- Gratefulness, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
Poem of the Day
- Sonnet: The Awesome Creator, Dr John Celes
- Sashay, Cee Bea
- Snakes are snakes always, gajanan mishra
- Sonnets Uncorseted, Maxine Kumin
- Sky, mina lotfi
- Where are my children, gajanan mishra
- Winter Festival Chant, Luo Zhihai
- A Humble Heroine, Max Plowman
- Dear Amy Nehzooukammyatootill, Aimee Nezhukumatathil
- I fear a foolish, gajanan mishra