A Day In The Life
Wakening when the dreams are over,
No matter how high the sun,
Coffee and cream, at least an hour,
Precisely, how each day’s begun.
Stretching slowly to feel outside,
Quietly sitting in the morning air,
A pair of Wrens feed their young,
I gaze in wonder, without a care.
Grab a bite but not too much,
Never hungry at this time of day,
Suppose I really should get dressed,
Whatever happens gets underway.
Nothing planned, at least at first,
A thought might cross my mind,
The more I wander aimlessly,
Amazing how much I can find.
The day dwindles on carelessly,
Deep into the afternoon hours,
Picking up sticks, rocks and debris,
Pausing often to smell the flowers.
Sound of thunder moving overhead,
Drops of rain falls here and there,
Summer showers nurture the earth,
All the creatures are well aware.
Daylight fades into shadows,
Air smells refreshed and clean,
Now sitting in the evening glow,
Moonrise, a pale like green.
Calm the wind, falls into dusk,
Passing day has come and gone,
With age I’ve gained experience,
This; I’ve come to depend on.
Nestled within my soft pillowed bed,
Plotting wild, imaginative schemes,
Relaxed ever drifting, a somber state,
Eyes closed, awaiting my dreams.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Day In The Life by G.R. Gaus )
Did you read them?
- Forget You Not, Forget You Not, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love Me, Love Me, You Just Love Me, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The sweetest song, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Be logic., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Loving Me, Leave Me Not, Desert You Not,.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- L'amour est un Triste Caméléon, Hebert Logerie
- स्वप्न, dhirajkumar taksande
- <<< আমি বাংলার পাতি মাষ্টার, Abdul Wahab
- Lost homes, hasmukh amathalal
- A Tiny Island, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns