A Day In The Life
Wakening when the dreams are over,
No matter how high the sun,
Coffee and cream, at least an hour,
Precisely, how each day’s begun.
Stretching slowly to feel outside,
Quietly sitting in the morning air,
A pair of Wrens feed their young,
I gaze in wonder, without a care.
Grab a bite but not too much,
Never hungry at this time of day,
Suppose I really should get dressed,
Whatever happens gets underway.
Nothing planned, at least at first,
A thought might cross my mind,
The more I wander aimlessly,
Amazing how much I can find.
The day dwindles on carelessly,
Deep into the afternoon hours,
Picking up sticks, rocks and debris,
Pausing often to smell the flowers.
Sound of thunder moving overhead,
Drops of rain falls here and there,
Summer showers nurture the earth,
All the creatures are well aware.
Daylight fades into shadows,
Air smells refreshed and clean,
Now sitting in the evening glow,
Moonrise, a pale like green.
Calm the wind, falls into dusk,
Passing day has come and gone,
With age I’ve gained experience,
This; I’ve come to depend on.
Nestled within my soft pillowed bed,
Plotting wild, imaginative schemes,
Relaxed ever drifting, a somber state,
Eyes closed, awaiting my dreams.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Day In The Life by G.R. Gaus )
- The Allen Chronicles, Romella Kitchens
- My eyes, Cee Bea
- E-rated poemier-all us, Elvis Airohi
- April Woman, Salma Jayyusi
- The Ship of Love, Salma Jayyusi
- Censorious Ignorance, michael walkerjohn
- Ludio ludius Lego, michael walkerjohn
- Right to exist, hasmukh amathalal
- Dead Leaves, David Lacey
- Brookstones, Cee Bea
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
- Cross, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)