A Day In The Life
Wakening when the dreams are over,
No matter how high the sun,
Coffee and cream, at least an hour,
Precisely, how each day’s begun.
Stretching slowly to feel outside,
Quietly sitting in the morning air,
A pair of Wrens feed their young,
I gaze in wonder, without a care.
Grab a bite but not too much,
Never hungry at this time of day,
Suppose I really should get dressed,
Whatever happens gets underway.
Nothing planned, at least at first,
A thought might cross my mind,
The more I wander aimlessly,
Amazing how much I can find.
The day dwindles on carelessly,
Deep into the afternoon hours,
Picking up sticks, rocks and debris,
Pausing often to smell the flowers.
Sound of thunder moving overhead,
Drops of rain falls here and there,
Summer showers nurture the earth,
All the creatures are well aware.
Daylight fades into shadows,
Air smells refreshed and clean,
Now sitting in the evening glow,
Moonrise, a pale like green.
Calm the wind, falls into dusk,
Passing day has come and gone,
With age I’ve gained experience,
This; I’ve come to depend on.
Nestled within my soft pillowed bed,
Plotting wild, imaginative schemes,
Relaxed ever drifting, a somber state,
Eyes closed, awaiting my dreams.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Day In The Life by G.R. Gaus )
- The Power Of Prayer, Tom Zart
- Mini Pool Tournament, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Tonight And Every Night, Michael McParland
- Ongoing Mental De-Evolution, michael walkerjohn
- Crossroads Of Destiny, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Spaces Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Know Why Old People Are Sometimes Very.., Shalom Freedman
- Speaking Loudly, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Sure, Michael McParland
- Into The Air, Robert Eckstein
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1927)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)